[Chapter 5]

Chapter 5

Gabe and I sat at the house for the week alone. I was happy for the silence of the house and alone time with Gabe. It has been months since we had real alone time and it was very welcomed. I knew while I was in town that I needed to see Alex and Blake during these holidays.

It had already passed the anniversary of their deaths but that did not mean anything to me. On Tuesday, I trudge down the stairs still in my pajamas looking for Gabe. I was dressed in a pair of gray pajama pants and gray long sleeve shirt. My arms are crossed around my chest as I step into the kitchen seeing Gabe walking around the stove in a pair of track pants and a hoodie.

I lean against the entrance of the kitchen just watching him move around the kitchen. Gabe can cook when he really tries but other times he burns things to a crisp. I smile just watching him for few more seconds before I make my presence known.

“What are you cooking?”

He jumps turning around and glaring at me, “Don’t startle me like that, Laura. I could have burnt myself on something.”

I sigh rolling my eyes and walking toward the stove to see for myself what he is cooking. The smell of bacon and sausage fill my nose and I look around noticing the waffle maker sitting on the counter.

“Waffles?”

He grins sheepishly, “Well, I thought waffles would something different. The college never cooks them and we haven’t had them in a while.”

I smile stepping toward him. I press my lips to his cheek, “Waffles sound great, Gabe.”

He smiles pressing a simple kissing to my lips before moving back toward the stove shooing my out of the way, “I’m cooking this breakfast young lady. So move out of the way.”

I giggle moving toward the table in the kitchen. I pull out a chair quickly taking a seat at the table. I lean against the chair just looking around. An image of Robert and me at this table last year comes to mind. My eyes close remembering the smell of the food, the scent of the candles, and the taste of the soda in wine glasses.

I quietly sniff my nose trying to suppress the emotions welling up inside my body. I open my eyes hearing Gabe curse under his breath. He is never the quiet whenever he curses. He tries to be but his anger just gets the better of him most of the time.

I turn my head grinning as he turns off the burner on the stove. He moves back toward the waffles quickly flipping the maker over to cook the other side of the waffles.

“Gabe?” I ask knowing I need to approach the subject with him first.

He sighs turning his head, “Can you wait, Laura? The waffles are almost done.”

I chuckle nodding, “Sure. I’ll get the glasses and utensils from the cabinets and drawers.”

Gabe nods attending to the waffles as I walk over to the cabinets. I find a couple of glasses peaking down at the counter to see Gabe hasn’t found any plates. I grab two plates sitting them on the counter in plain view of Gabe’s eyes.

He smiles grateful as I place the glasses on the counter, “What do you want to drink?”

He sighs pulling the waffles from the maker, “Chocolate milk if there is any. If not, just some orange juice.”

I nod opening the fridge checking for any chocolate milk. Unfortunately, there isn’t any as I let the door close moving toward the pantry. I find a bottle of chocolate syrup grabbing it and looking at the bottle. It’s Nesquick causing me to grin walking over to the fridge. I quickly grab the milk and the orange juice. I quickly fix Gabe’s milk and my orange juice sitting them on the table in their respected places.