[Chapter 22]

Chapter 22

The teacher drones on at the front of the class. I can hear the chatter behind me from my fellow students but I don’t pay much attention to the words. The room is warm almost forcing me out of my black blazer. The bell rings releasing us from the entrapment of a college classroom.

I slowly stare in front of me as I gather my things together slipping out of the room. The chaos around me blurs past as I barely pay attention. I’ve been back to school for two weeks now. I don’t know how well I’m actually doing since I got back the day mom told me the date of the wedding.

I pull on a pair of gloves from my messenger bag as I tug my blazer tighter. The walk toward the dorm is sluggish. I haven’t paid much attention to my surroundings lately. I know Kimi and Annie have been paying attention to notice the problems going on with me.

“Laura?”

I turn around to find Gabe’s frat friend, Harry, dressed in his warmer clothes.

“Hi Harry.”

He smiles at me walking beside me, “How are you doing today? You’ve been looking slightly down lately. Gabe said you broke up with him?”

Obviously, Gabe didn’t really go into detail with Harry about our breakup.

“Yeah, I broke up with him. We are just better off friends. I sort of have feelings for someone else. Gabe probably already knows, though.”

Harry grins nodding, “So, who’s the lucky guy?”

I smile shrugging, “He’s much older than me.”

Suddenly the look on Harry’s face changes as he slows his pace beside me, “Laura, I was thinking that maybe you might want to…”

My eyes widen as I come to a complete stop staring at Harry. His face darkens, as he stands in front of me completely quiet.

I shake my head frowning, “Harry, I wasn’t talking about you. I have feelings for my ex that came before Gabe. He’s much older than me and he doesn’t attend this college.”

Understanding comes to his face as he nods, “Oh, I understand. I’ll see you later, Laura. If you happen to see Gabe, tell him I’m going to be out tonight.”

I nod watching him quickly jog away probably to tend to his wounds. I groan shaking my head as I stare pathetically at Harry’s retreating figure. I must be really out of it not to notice Harry’s advances toward me this week. Ever since we got back Harry has been showing up where I least expect him. I can only guess that shortly after we arrived back, he discovered Gabe’s and mine’s relationship status. As if our Facebook profiles didn’t say enough for him to know already.

I sigh continuing my trip toward my dorm. Taking a detour as usual to make the trip even longer, I stop by the music room. The room is left open for music majors most of the time by the music teacher so she shouldn’t care too much if I stay in here for a few minutes.

I pull my messenger bag from my shoulder taking a seat at the piano. The piano is better than the smaller one that is travel accessible. I place my hands on the keys a song immediately coming into my mind: Orianthi’s song “According to You.” The music flows incredibly, as the lyrics come through my lips.

"According To You"

According to you

I'm stupid,

I'm useless,

I can't do anything right.

According to you