[Chapter 16]

Chapter 16

 December 25, 2010

             Momaw's Christmas tree looks beautiful as I step back staring. I can barely hear the screams behind me from the young kids as I stare at the masterpiece that is the Christmas tree. This year instead of a fake tree, Momaw actually bought a real tree.

 It's the first time we've ever had a real tree on Christmas. Mom and Aunt Karen never had a real tree either so it's something new for them too. Annie walks up to stand next to me as I catch her nodding head out the corner of my eye.

 "I can see what the fuss is about now. Your mom is complaining about all the stuff on the floor."

 I glance toward the floor noticing for the first time the pieces of leaves on the floor. Shaking my head, I hear yelling from upstairs. I turn toward the stairs to see Aunt Karen walking down the steps shaking her head, "If all they are going to do every Christmas is argue, they shouldn't get married."

 I chuckle under my breath catching Karen's attention. She sighs giving me this look as she walks toward the kitchen where Momaw and Uncle Jack are cooking. Momaw actually got Jack to help cook a few things this year instead of snacking on everything.

 I step back hearing another vehicle pull into the driveway. Glancing at Annie, I turn toward the stairs, "I'm going to check on Gabe. He's been upstairs for a while."

 Annie frowns nodding her head as she takes a seat on the couch beside Daphne. Sam and Phil are sitting on the floor arguing and fighting over the game system. I quickly climb the stairs my boots echoing on the stairs almost to my heartbeat.

 I glance toward the end of the hallway hearing the heated voices from the room. Ever since they got up this morning on Christmas morning, Mom and Robert have been arguing like crazy. They seemed to be in a decent mood after they woke but they were in the kitchen being lovey dovey one minute and down each other's throats the next.

 It's almost like déjà vu with the way they are acting. It was the exact same thing last year like Aunt Karen said. I shake my head moving toward Gabe and my room. I turn the knob shoving the door open flipping on the light. Gabe is lying on his side fully dressed his hand clutching his stomach. Gabe ate a few pieces of chocolate this morning and ever since he's been sick to his stomach. I feel really bad because he's probably missing his own mom this year.

 "Gabe?"

 He groans turning over to face me. A smile covers his lips as he takes in my appearance, "Laura. I was wondering where you were."

 I sigh walking around the bed to sit beside him. He grabs my hand his rubbing along my knuckles, "I was worried about you. Do you think you feel like going downstairs? Mom and Robert's arguing can't be helping you feel better."

 He shrugs, "It's not as if I've never heard arguing before. What are they arguing about?"

 I shrug my shoulders, "Not a clue. They argued like this last year. It's probably some stupid shit. The real reason I came up here is because my sister just pulled in."

 Gabe sighs nodding his head pursing his lips, "Has she come in the house yet?"

 I shake my head, "No, I just heard the vehicle pull in."

 He nods understanding as we hear a door slam from mom and Robert's argument. In all honesty, I probably know why Robert and mom are arguing in the first place. Ever since our make out session just yesterday, Robert hasn't been focused on everything going on around him. It's just a miracle Gabe and I aren't arguing as well about the same thing. I suppose I have Gabe's sickness to thank for that as he's been too sick to notice my distance.