[Chapter 17]

Chapter 17

December 26, 2010

            The next day I wake with an extreme headache. I probably drank last night not paying much attention. After watching mom and Robert leave the party is nothing but a simple blur. I barely remember coming home but I’m pretty positive that Gabe had more to drink than I.

I turn over in the bed my hand reaching over the bed only to feel nothing but air. My eyes open squinting against the bright ceiling light. The bed is empty on Gabe’s side and I don’t see his pajama pants on the end of the bed. Carefully I sit up pushing the covers to the end of the bed standing to my feet. I yawn grabbing my robe from the dresser shoving my feet into my slippers.

The hallway isn’t as quiet as I thought. I can hear voices from mom and Robert’s room. I find Momaw in the living room drinking either a mug of coffee or hot coco, I’m not too sure.

“Laura, you’re awake. There’s hot breakfast in the kitchen. Gabe didn’t want to wake you as it was pretty late when we got home. He was already awake when I came in and said something.”

I nod smiling walking past Momaw into the kitchen. Annie is also up sitting at the table conversing with Gabe.

“Morning, guys.”

They glance up smiling at me as Gabe puckers up for a kiss. I giggle shaking my head, “You do realize I have horrible morning breath?”

Gabe’s nose scrunches up, “Never mind then.”

I shake my head moving toward the cabinet grabbing a plate. I quickly pile my plate with waffles, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, and a slice of toast.

I take the empty seat beside Gabe smiling at them both.

“So, what are our plans after this?”

Gabe never really said what he wanted to do for New Year’s. I told him that Annie and I made it tradition to go to New York for New Years since she didn’t have her brother to go with. Gabe’s not really a big fan of Angel and Scott though. I suppose he gets a little uncomfortable around them considering they are gay he’s straight. It was funny the first time Scott hit on him telling him he had gorgeous eyes. Ever since, Gabe has acted skittish around them.

Annie frowns toward me as she uses her fork to move things around her plate, “Turns out your mom, Rob, and Sarah are all going to New York as well.”

I nod stuffing my mouth with syrup covered waffles, “I kind of figured that. Mom goes every year. Last year was the first time I was invited which was probably because Robert wanted me to come.”

Gabe nods taking a sip from his orange juice, “I called my dad about going to New York with my flier miles. He’s offered us one of his apartments in the city. It’s a pretty decent place and I know you would love it, Laura. There are three rooms in the one he’s offered us. You’ll probably have to meet him while we’re there. His office is in Chicago or Boston, whichever, but he does more business in New York than anywhere else. He always spends Christmas and New Years in New York anyway.”

A gulp down my food with the help of my Hershey’s mixed chocolate milk frowning toward Gabe, “What if your dad doesn’t like me?”

Gabe sighs, “My dad doesn’t like a lot of people. I wouldn’t take it to heart. Most of the time he doesn’t like me. He truly despises me when I disrespect his name in the press. That gets blood boiling.”

“Alright, if you say so. New York would be fun for New Year’s.”

 Gabe and Annie smile as I nod my head. Suddenly I hear my mom’s voice from the stairs in the foyer as she enters the living room.