[Chapter 24]

Chapter 24

The plane ride was usual. It turns out that Malcolm was quite busy with another flight so mom had to up his paycheck. She wasn’t very pleased by that information. The hostess was new to the job and she hardly did anything. I had to locate everything in the plane for her because she was just so lost. I felt a little sorry for her in retrospect. I felt she was lucky to have to deal with me instead of Sarah or mom. Mom would have fired her on the spot as soon as they landed she would be jobless with no way of getting home.

It happened before and I don’t want to talk about it. I had the usual nervous stomach on top of so much other stuff it was annoying. Kimi was being the best friend anyone could ask for once again as she was sending me encouraging messages through my phone. I never had been so grateful for technology before as my iPad made the ride a lot less boring. Kimi and Annie needed my laptop back home anyway and I already have one at home that I can use anyway so it wasn’t a huge deal.

Unlike previous flights I stare out the window at the night sky smiling to myself. This is actually the first time I’ve flown anywhere at night. It feels strange and different from any other flight.

The bright lights of the on coming city brightened my outlook on this adventure. The money for Sarah weighs almost a ton in my backpack. It is surprising that I have not received a message from Robert about coming home early. He should know by now that I am coming home and what it is really about.

My stomach churns at the idea of seeing him after so little time has really past. I sort of wonder if Robert will accompany mom to the airport as I secretly hope.

I glance down at my iPad smiling to myself seeing the image of Kimi and myself. I changed the picture from Christmas to a more updated picture of Kimi and me in New York. Of the two times I have been to New York, I am not entirely sure which was a better experience. I got to know Annie better during my first trip but my breakup with Robert made things a little more complicated.

Unfortunately, the second trip had more difficulties. Gabe, sort of, ruined most of the trip because he was down in the dumps. I understand where he was coming from but it just was not the same as the first trip. The only upside to the second trip was the surprise arrival of Kimi at the apartment. If she had been with me during the first trip, I would have enjoyed myself more because she made things better the second time around.

I am a little afraid of standing up to Sarah. I mean either she killed or had Ben killed last year. She could have another breakdown and kill Robert and me in her attempts. I shake my head just as the new attendant walks toward me smiling, “We’re about to land, please buckle up, Ms. May.”

I nod smiling at her as I buckle the belt around my waist slipping my iPad into its case. The night sky sparkles from the window as I look out. The airport is just ahead as a grin slides onto my face just as I get comfortable in my seat.

The attendant buckles herself up as well in an empty seat since the place is mostly empty. I feel the plane shake slightly causing my hands to tighten around the armrest. My voice falls into my stomach as my eyes slam shut as tightly as possibly. The plane begins it is decent toward the runaway shaking slightly once it lands causing my entire stomach to rumble from both hunger and nerves. I have not eaten much on the entire flight and not to mention I did not eat before getting on board. My nerves were already so bad because of the flight so I did not want to risk throwing up all over the inside of the plane.

I feel the plane move around to the spot it has to be in to unload. Unlike the other commercial planes, I will not be walking through a long corridor once I get off the plane. I wonder if there will be bodyguards like there were guards that saw me to the plane.