[Chapter 11]

Chapter 11

The weekend past quickly. Sarah managed to stay away from Gabe and me for the time being. I’m still a little apprehensive about her and her ways. I’ve made particular care to make sure that she and Gabe are never in the same room alone for an extended period of time.

I shake my head watching Sarah move toward the fridge. I’m in the kitchen eating breakfast while Gabe is upstairs in the shower. We both packed our suitcases last night so all we have to do is carry them to the SUV. Mom and Robert have promised to drive us to the airport this afternoon.

Kimi and Annie have both stayed to ride back with us to the college. It'll be nice to have both my best friends there with us. Sarah keeps groaning every time she opens the fridge.

I roll my eyes, “Nothing is going to change inside that fridge no matter how many times you open that door.”

She silently groans slamming the fridge door glaring at me, “No shit, Sherlock!”

I close my mouth continuing to eat my oatmeal. Apparently, neither mom nor Robert knows how to go grocery shopping. The refrigerator is completely empty with maybe a container of ketchup and a lemon. Mom is at the store right now doing some shopping while Robert is here.

He’s in the living room watching some show in an effort to get away from Sarah’s annoying voice. If mom would get over her new rule of not eating in the living room, I would have already escaped to the living room as well.

Sarah grabs the remote from the counter where I’m sitting changing it to some style network. I grit my teeth forcing my mouth shut. I can’t wait to get back to the college because if I continue to sit here I just might hurt or kill Sarah.

I glance down at my oatmeal noticing there are only two bites left in my bowl. Finally, I can get out of this kitchen away from Sarah. I quickly scoop the rest of the oatmeal on my spoon stuffing my mouth with both bites. I drop my spoon inside the bowl pushing to my feet and moving toward the sink.

I push the faucet handle up quickly washing my bowl and spoon. I add some dawn to a sponge rubbing it all over my bowl before rinsing it off under the hot water and placing it all in the drain rack. I turn toward the doors of the kitchen sighing as I tug my jacket tighter against my body.

The temperature has dropped overnight but neither mom nor Sarah will allow anyone to turn up the heat. I enter the living room spotting Robert sitting fully dressed watching some TV show. I stand there for a few minutes since he hasn’t noticed me, mom is at the store, Sarah’s watching the style network in the kitchen, and Gabe is in my bathroom showering.

I stand there with my eyes moving over his body. I take in his clothes of a simple white shirt underneath a yellow and blue plaid open button shirt, blue jeans, and the typical cap he usually has on his head. I can feel my heart double beating as my eyes move over the angles of his face, over his eyes, his nose, his cheeks, his lips, and his chin.

As if feeling someone starring at him he turns his head meeting my eyes, “Laura.”

I smile moving toward the couch folding my arms across my chest, “What are you watching?”

He chuckles shrugging his shoulders, “I haven’t the slightest clue. It’s some game show.”

I turn my head toward the TV hoping that I might be able to find out what is playing across the screen. The screen is on commercial at the moment so I can’t tell what’s on. I sigh taking a seat at the end of the couch tucking my legs underneath my bottom.

“Well, I don’t think anyone can find out what they’re watching with it on commercial.”

Robert chuckles nodding his head, “I suppose you’re right.”