[Prologue]

Prologue

“Congratulations Class of 2010! We finally made it!” said the valedictorian on the stage. Suddenly she grabbed the cap on her head with the tassels hanging from the side and tossed it to the sky. The rest of the class followed suit.

I giggled and grabbed the cap from my head and tossed it to the sky like the rest of my peers. People were yelling and congratulating their kids. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach as I realized I just graduated high school. I’m free!

A huge grin came over my face and suddenly Luke was running straight toward me. He grabbed me in a tight hug and then let go of me. I grinned at his grinning face, “We made it Laura! Just wanted to give one of my friends a hug.”

I nodded smiling at him, “No problem, Luke.”

He smiled pecking my cheek before running off toward his family. I chuckled at his behavior. My fingers rolled around my dark blue gown and I chuckled. The schools colors were gold and blue. Strange colors if you ask me.

I heard chuckles from deeper in the crowd and my name being yelled out, “Laura! Laura Robin May! Robin!”

I chuckle turning on my heel only to be attacked in a huge hug that caused me to lose my balance. I chuckled and looked down in the eyes of my best friend, Kimi Lewis. She gave me a sheepish grin before quickly standing to her feet and pulling me up to mine.

“I’m so sorry about that, Laura. Anyway, can you believe it? We made it girl. We made it through everything!”

I grinned giggling at her excitement, “I know, Kimi. Anyway where’s your mom?”

Her eyes went wide, “I don’t know! I haven’t looked for her yet.”

I chuckled, “She’s going to kill you. You came to find me first before your damn mom.”

She waved me off brushing her straightened hair from her shoulder, “Oh she’ll be okay. Where’s your family? You never did tell me who was coming.”

I chuckled, poor girl had been bugging the hell out of me for information about who was coming. I had done a good enough job hiding my new relationship from her. All she knew was I had a new guy friend that was slowly taking Alex’s old place. I refused to give too much information.

The relationship with Gabe happened slowly. We talked on the phone at first then exchanged emails from there. We talked about almost everything except my mother’s job. I didn’t trust him enough at first to know about her. With her job I needed close people by my side. I didn’t know whether or not to trust him not to go fan guy all over her or tell someone about it.

It took two months before I trusted him enough to tell him. Then another month before I took him up on a date. I talked my mother into letting me go Momaw’s during that time and it was great. Momaw loves him but there’s something going on under that smile of hers.

I chuckle at Kimi’s face, “No matter how many times you asked that I’m not telling you anything.”

She crossed her arms stopping her feet, “Fine whatever. I just want to know if Robert was coming.”

I sighed, my eyes lowering to the ground. Robert was another thing I hadn’t gone into complete detail with Gabe. I just told him that my last boyfriend moved and he had been my first boyfriend. Gabe was shocked when I told him that. He couldn’t seem to understand why no other guy had tried to get with me.

We just shrugged it off though. From time to time it gets harder to deal with Robert in my life. Gabe hasn’t met Robert yet and for that I’m grateful.