[Chapter 23]

Chapter 23

            After the spa, Kimi and I race back to the door. Annie bolts up from the bed a sleepy look on her face. I search my closet ignoring her, grabbing suitcases, and tossing them to the bed. I grab a few articles of clothing changing into some jeans and a blue shirt.

“Kimi, I’ll be back. I need to talk with a counselor and see if the dean is still on campus.”

Kimi smiles waving me off as Annie attempts to figure out what’s going on. I slip on my pair of converse grabbing a folder and notebook shoving them in my bag along with some pens and leaving the room. I don’t want to call mom about staying with them until I know that I can do college online since I’ve already started.

The campus seems mostly deserted of students. I can only assume that some students are still on campus in back room studying like crazy. My fingers shake slightly from nerves as I finally leave the dorm building crossing toward the main building where the dean and counselors are.

I pick at my bag as I walk knowing my entire journey depends on this conversation with the counselors. I spot a few people I know like students and teachers that smile and nod at me. I enter the main building quicker than I expect locating the main office.

A woman is behind the counter typing on a computer.

“Excuse me?”

She looks up smiling at me to which I reply, “Are any counselors still in? I need to talk to one about switching to online.”

She nods glancing down at her computer, “I believe Mrs. Ash is still in. She usually stays pretty late. She could help; just let me give her a ring.”

She hits a button on her phone beside her computer.

“Yes?”

“There’s a student here in the office that needs to speak with a counselor. You’re the only one still in.”

“Name of the student.”

She glances at me expectantly as I reply, “Laura May.”

“Did you get that?”

“Yes, send her in her please.”

The woman nods smiling at me, “Go on in. She’s waiting on you.”

I nod turning around toward the hallway. Mrs. Ash’s door is open as she stands waiting on me with a smile on her face, “I can’t say I’m surprised. I was expecting you either today or tomorrow, especially after our talk. I can only guess that your friend Kimi Lewis must have gotten to you in some way.”

I shrug smiling, “She kind of did. She’s like that sometimes.”

Mrs. Ash beckons me into her office. Her office is the usual counselor’s office. She has a simple wooden desk with about two chairs in front of the desk. There are bookcases containing different books probably on her profession as a college counselor.

I take the seat closest to the door placing my bag on the floor beside me. She takes the seat at her desk smiling, “So what is it that you need?”

I frown fidgeting slightly crossing and folding my fingers together, “I’m going to call my mom and go home for a couple of months. I want to be able to take my classes online so that I don’t lose the scholarship and I can stay in school even online.”

Mrs. Ash nods her head messing with her computer, “Now, you have to understand that not all of your teachers are online teachers. You might have brand new teachers. Since you just started all of your classes this semester most plans from teachers are the same for first part of the semester.”