18) Detention With Mr. Evans

I woke up the next day in the arms of Luke. Instead of pulling away like I would normally do I pull him closer because right now, I'm not my normal self.

The memories of last night flood my head again. Kissing Zack, Mike's hands all over my body, Luke and Danny beating Mike to a pulp, and being wrapped in Luke's warm embrace.

I can't believe that my life could be turned upside down so fast and right now I don't want to face reality. I just want to curl up in Luke's strong arms and fall asleep forever.

"Time to get up sleeping beauty" I hear Luke whisper and I groan and bury my face deeper into his chest. "I can't" I moan.

"Why not?"

"I have a hangover" I try but Luke just chuckles. "Nice try but we both know that you don't drink" he says and I face the inevitable and sit up.

"I'll let you change in here" he says and I nod and grab some clothes I left here from winter break and put them on. It is some jeans, a sweater and some boots.

I go to the mirror and look at my face. It looks a little better than it did last night but not by much. I walk out of Luke's room and walk over to Charlotte's.

"Charlotte, are you up?" I ask and walk in. She is sitting on her bed, already ready for school, reading a book. She looks up as I come in. "What's up Claire?" she asks.

"Can you help me look presentable?" I ask and she takes one look at my face and nods. I follow her into her bathroom. For the next 30 minutes Charlotte straightens my hair, puts a little foundation on my paler then usual face, puts mascara on my lashes and covers the cut on my lip with some lip gloss.

"There. Now you look great" she says once she finishes and I look at my reflection in the mirror. I look a lot better now. "Thank you" I say to Charlotte and head downstairs where Luke is waiting in the kitchen.

He looks at me for a second before asking "Did Charlotte do your make up?" I nod and he says "she's a lot better with make up than I would like her to be" I roll my eyes at him and we head to his car.

Once we are both inside we sit in silence for a few moments. "Claire" Luke starts and I turn towards him "I just want you to know, you don't have to pretend you are fine. The fact that that low-life asshole waste of-" Luke cuts himself off by gritting his teeth "I just want you to know that you don't have to pretend around me".

I stare him in the eyes for a few seconds before saying "I never do" and it is the most honest thing I've said in a while. I never pretended around Luke because I never had to. He could see right through my act and call me out. He knew me better than I wish he did.

"Good" he states and starts the car. After a few minutes we reach the school. As I climb out of the car Luke grabs my hand and squezes it for reassurance. As we walk into the school I feel everyone's eyes on us and not like they used to do before, this time they were whispering about something other than our 'relationship'.

He follows me all of the way to my locker and stays with me while I get my books out. I am glad Luke is there so I'm not alone to think about my memories.

"There she is" I hear a familar boy's voice. I turn to see Danny, Belle and Brandon walking towards us. Once Danny is close enough I envelope him into a huge hug. "Thank you" I whisper in his ear.

He pulls away and smiles at me "no one messes with my sister" and I truly smile at that. Belle softly grabs my arm. "Come on, lets go to the bathroom to gossip or something" she tries.

I smile at her "really Belle I'm fi-" "Hey Claire there you are" I hear Zack say and feel a flutter in my stomach. I look over at him and he smiles down at me "can we talk?" he asks nervously.