57) Scars

I didn't want to open my eyes.

I know it sounds awful, but there is a part of me that hoped that whatever was in my drink last night would make me forget what almost happened to me. That it would wipe the scarring memories away and leave me the same person I was before then.

I was wrong.

The horrifying images of last night that continuously flow through my mind is the thing that finally makes me open my eyes.

Someone is watching me and my instinct tells me to start kicking and screaming. That is what last night has done to me. I don't feel I can trust anyone anymore, not even the concerned boy next to me.

"Get away from me" my voice is hoarse but Luke understands and moves his hand away from me.

"Claire, I understand that-"

"Oh you understand?" I scoff at him. "Well thank god I have you Luke! Honestly, I don't know how I'd live without you. I'm so glad you understand what I'm going through. That you know how it feels to have someone else's hands on you, knowing you can do nothing about it".

I flash of memory of the time when Luke admitted to me what Rachel used to do to him crosses my mind but I quickly push it away. I was angry and furious right now because of how stupid I was last night. Because, like always, when danger came knocking at my door, I went running over to Luke like he was my protector.

Luke studies me for a second before speaking. "You'd think that after I've seen you mad at me so many times before that I'd be used to it. Sadly, seeing you furious still terrifies me greatly".

I roll my eyes at him. "I'm not in the mood to be taunted right now-"

"Who said anything about taunting?" Luke interrupts, handing me a glass of water and an Advil. "I'm not lying. You do scare me".

"Well, good" I state because I don't know what else I can say. If I tried to insult him again he'd just brush it off and leave me angrier than I was before.

Luke moves his gaze to the floor. "So are we going to act like what happened to you last night didn't actually happen?" He asks me.

I fix my gaze on the black TV screen as I gulp down the water and the pill. Afterwards I wipe my mouth with my hand and stare at Luke. "I have no idea what you are talking about" I say emotionlessly.

Luke's brows furrow together at my response. "Claire, you aren't seriously going to act like what happened last night wasn't real, are you?" He asks.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Last time I checked I spent the night here at your house and we had a Netflix marathon" I say tersely.

If it's possible for Luke's frown to grow deeper it does. "Claire this is serious. This isn't something you can just act like never happened. You were almost-"

"But I wasn't" I snap. "So I see no reason why we should be so stuck on what happened in the past. Let it go and move on".

Luke is silent for a moment before his hands slowly curl into fists on top of his thigh and he shakes his head. "Claire, you may be able to act like you weren't drugged and almost raped last night but I can't and I won't. I saw the pictures and something like that can't be erased from my memory easily".

My eyes finally go to the mass of plastic in the corner that looks like once took the shape of a camera. I get up and though my head spins, I storm over to the plastic and pick it all up.

Luke watches me from his seat as I throw every single piece onto the logs of his fireplace before flicking the switch and watching the fire engulf the black plastic pieces.