32) The Fourth Of July

"Do I look American enough?"

These are the words that come out of my best friend's mouth as we stand in my room getting ready for the Fourth of July fireworks in the park.

I turn around to see Belle decked out in red white and blue. She has on red shorts with a blue top and flip flops with her hair curled into perfect blonde ringlets.

"Perfect" I state, examining my outfit in the mirror. I had on jean shorts and an american flag shirt with blue converse. My hair was pulled into a ponytail.

A sudden honk sounds from outside my house. "That would be the boys" Belle says. I grab my phone and we walk out the door.

Luke's car is parked in the driveway. Inside, we find it absolutely crammed with Luke, Zack, Nicole, Riley, Danny and Brandon. One seat is left.

"Well this wasn't well thought out" I state. Zack smiles at me and says "come on, you can sit on my lap".

I smile at his gesture and climb into the car and sit down on his lap. He immediately wraps his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. I try to hide the smile on my face.

Since the day that I told Zack I loved him things have been amazing. We spent almost every day together and we were stronger than ever.

Luke starts the car, looking perfectly normal besides a slight frown. The day I told Zack I loved him was also the same day that Luke finally let me go. He had Riley and I had Zack. Everything was great.

Soon we get to the park. I hop off of Zack's lap but not before he plants a kiss on my lips. We all climb out of the car. "We have 4 hours before the fireworks start. Lets get back in 3 hours and thirty minutes so we can get a place on the grass" Brandon says.

We all nod and start to separate, Riley immediately clinging to Luke, Nicole walking over to the carousel and Belle immediately walking away from Danny. I suddenly realize I have to have a talk with one of my best friends.

"You" I say, pointing to Danny "and I are going to have a talk" I turn over my shoulders towards Zack. "I'll meet you at the bumper cars in a few minutes" I call out before grabbing Danny by the shirt and pulling him away from the others.

Once we reach a big tree far enough from the others I let go of him and immediately smack him in the arm hard. "Ow!" Danny shouts.

"That's for calling Belle a slut when she was obviously hurt enough you. Absolute. Moron" I say emphasizing the last three words with a smack to Danny.

"Ow! Chill Claire! She was the one who threw a bowl at my head!" he shouts back. "That's not the point" I snap. "She needed her two best friends and you weren't there for her" I say.

"I was! I came to her house to comfort her and then she goes ape shit on me! What was I supposed to do?!?" he asks.

"You were supposed to take the blows" I say back. "You were supposed to let her get her anger out and stay by her side because that is what friends do. We get pissed off at each other but we never ever turn our back on them".

"I didn't turn my back on her! I defended her! I fought that prick for her!" Danny exclaims. I shake my head. "That's not good enough. You need to be there for her. You need to let her be mad at you but never leave her side" I explain.

"How can I leave that crazy girl when I'm in love with her!" Danny blurts out.

I freeze. "You what?" I ask but it comes out like a whisper. From Danny's pale face I can tell he didn't expect himself to say that either. "I-I love her" he says again, stuttering.