63) Why Did Danny Have To Leave The Door Unlocked?

~ 6 Months Later ~

"Hey, where are you?" I ask into my phone as one hand holds it to my ear and the other tugs my jacket even closer to my body, fighting against the chilly New York air.

"I'm at our usual spot, how far away are you?" the voice on the other line says into my ear.

"I'm looking at it right now" I state as I walk into the coffee shop.

"Really, that's the jacket you choose?" he teases through the phone as I survey the room, looking for his familiar hair.

"You can't be talking, are those sketchers I see?" I ask into the phone as I meet his grin with my own.

"Keen attention to detail" he praises.

"I try" I state before ending the call and sitting across from the brown eyed boy.

"How was your last class exam?" James asks as he leans back in his chair in the casual way I was so used to seeing on him.

"Whoever the hell made that Biology exam is a cruel cruel man" I reply, taking a sip of the coffee sitting in front of me. Peppermint mocha, the beverage I drink religiously on cold days like these. Of course James would remember.

"Well my Philosophy exam wasn't much better" James says casually. Everything he did was always casual, chill, as if he had no worries in the world. I envied him at times when it felt like I had all the weight of the world on my shoulders.

"Well, now we have a week until the next semester starts up" I state cheerfully. 

"I know, hopefully it will be just like Christmas" he says with a genuine smile. His words pull me back to the memory. Belle and Danny had gone back home to see family but after the news my father told me I just really didn't want to go back there. Especially since I knew Luke was going back as well.

Luke.

Even after 6 months, the simple thought of his name brings a lump to my throat and causes my eyes to tear up. Damn, I thought after this long with absolutely no communication with him I would feel better. Sure I'm not numb anymore but I still can't think about him without hating myself for doing so.

So needless to say I didn't go back home. I fully expected to spend Christmas alone in a barren apartment but then James barreled through the door, dragging a christmas tree behind him and everything felt better.

Flashes of us dancing around while singing christmas carols and opening presents from each other (we both got the other one a onesie) race across my memory as I can't help but smile at the memories. It was the first time in a while that I had felt nothing but happiness.

James and I were friends. Very close friends and though there was a time on Halloween when James had tried to kiss me, I had gently rejected him and spilled the truth about Luke. He understood and immediately stopped the flirtatious movements, and for that I was grateful.

At times I would find myself staring at James while he was talking or laughing or studying and wonder why I didn't want to be with him like that? Why I didn't want him to feel the empty hole in my chest with his laughter and inside jokes? But whenever I'd gather the courage to try and act on those feelings, Luke's voice would sound through my head again and I would immediately go back to whatever I'm doing, seeing James as simply a close friend.

"That was fun wasn't it" I smile nostalgically.

James snorts. "It was until you decided to karaoke to my favorite christmas carol. I will never be able to listen to Silent Night again without hearing the dreadful screech of your voice in the background".