38) Football Fury

It is the Final Friday. Also known as the last football game.

The Fridays that held the last football game of the season were always hectic but today brought a whole new level of craziness to the term Final Friday.

It is absolute mayhem. People cheer and clap whenever a football player walks down the hall. Chants from the players and even sometimes the cheerleaders would be blurted out randomly in the classroom. The teachers didn't even seem to mind the outbursts.

Everybody is decked out in our school colors, blue and white, and it isn't an odd sight to see someone with paint covering half of their face.

And it was only 11:00.

Of course I didn't mind the chaos that the Final Friday always brought. Ever since I was little, there was always a part of me that loved the fiery spirit that radiated everywhere when there was mayhem. The subtle and elegant organization it always held. I couldn't help but feel my heart roar along with the frenzy whenever it was Final Friday.

So I smile as I walk down the hall, passing hyped up people and numerous 'good luck's. I never really got why people told the dance team and the cheer team 'good luck'. We weren't the ones that needed it. Sure, if we mess up it would be disappointing but at least our school's state champion title wasn't on the line.

I haven't been able to see Zack yet today. I want to see him before the game, make sure he isn't buckling under the pressure loaded onto his back for tonight.

I haven't seen Luke yet today either for that matter. Not since we escaped Landon's house together and hugged each other in my driveway. He was probably a mess of nervousness as well. They still didn't know if it was him or Zack that would be the ones playing tonight.

"What the hell did you do to your hair?" a voice calls out from behind me.

I turn around to see Belle walking towards me with wide eyes. I smiled at her reaction and comb a hand through my new shoulder length hair. "What? This?" I ask innocently.

"Yes bitch" Belle states laughing before reaching a hand up to touch my newly shortened hair. "Damn, you look good Claire but why the sudden change in hairstyles? We usually talk to each other before getting a haircut".

"Oh, you know. I just wanted to try something new" I say nonchalantly. Plus a crazed miniature sized elephant chopped off a huge chunk of it.

"Well I like it" Belle declares, smiling widely at me. "I've gotta go though. I'll see you at lunch" she says goodbye and walks down the hall.

I turn to walk towards my next class but am stopped by a familiar figure.

Zack's hands automatically go to my hair. "Well this is different" he says, a smirk playing on his mouth.

"Good different?" I ask. His eyes connect with mine and he leans closer. "Amazing different" he breathes out.

I smile and stand on my toes so my lips can reach his. As I pull away he smiles back at my hair. "Seriously Claire, I like it. It makes you look even more impossibly beautiful".

"Aren't you the charmer" I say. He tugs at his jersey that I am wearing. "Well, I've got to treat my queen right when she wears my jersey".

I smile at his words. "You must have a book where you write down phrases to use to try to swoon me" I say.

Zack opens his mouth to respond but looks up and stops. I turn around to see what he is looking at and find Luke looking intently at my hair.

"I'll see you later Claire" Zack states curtly and walks off before I can call out to stop him.