15) Christmas Eve With The Evans Family

I ran the brush through my hair only 2 times before the door to the guest room I was staying in bursted open.

"Darren I swear, if you don't give me my football back I'll shove my fist so far down your throat you won't be able to breathe" I hear Luke shout as a laughing gleeful Darren comes running into my room along with a red faced Luke chasing him and in the end was little Lea running after the 2 yelling "fight, fight" while Charlotte rolled her eyes and leaned against the door frame watching her siblings.

"You'll have to catch me before you can threaten me Lukey pie" Darren taunts, using the nickname I had heard their mother call Luke a few days ago making Luke's face turn more red.

Darren races as fast as he can over to me and quickly runs behind me and clings to my shoulders for protection.

It is December 24th and I have been staying at the Evans's house for a total of 4 days counting today and my visit has been anything but quiet. Every 5 minutes I either hear Luke yelling at Darren or Charlotte yelling at Luke or Lea just yelling in general. It is so much different than the quiet, empty house I am used to. I love it.

I have also gotten closer to Charlotte, Lea and Darren too. They are all so different I can't believe they are related. We have Darren, the jokester. That boy can't go 15 minutes without trying to prank someone or trying to cause trouble. No one has ever made me laugh as much within a short period of time as him.

Then we have Charlotte, the quiet one. She usually is playing with Lea or trying to break up a fight between Luke and Darren, which I guess she didn't feel like doing it this time. She is one of the wisest people I have ever met.

Then we have small, little Lea, the loud one. She loves it when she gets attention and will do anything to get it. She also loved it when the boys let her fight with them. She was one tough girl. Every time I decided to play with her I would end up exhausted in the end.

Then, lastly we have Luke. The boy seems to have a surprise around every corner. I thought I knew him pretty well but I have learned so much more about him and the more a learn, the more interested I am with him. It's like he is pulling me deeper into himself than I ever thought possible, and I'm not trying to stop it. I especially like learning his weird quirks.

For one, he has to make sure that none of his food touches. I don't know what his problem with food touching is but he has one. Another thing is he always has to have the last word, not just with an argument but with a conversation too. This usually ends with him and Lea just saying mindless things in hopes to get the last word in.

Finally, and must surprising to me, he actually loves to read. The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, all of those. I especially love it when he will actually let us have a conversation about the books.
"Claire, come on, please protect me" the fearful voice of Darren brings me to the present and out of my deep thoughts. "You won't let him hurt me right?".

"Claire, move out of the way for me" Luke says with a look that would have even the bravest men running to the hills but knowing him better than that, I decide to have a little fun.

"Oh I don't know superman" I say and take the football from Darren to examine. "I'm sure you'll be fine without it" he lunges for it but I'm too quick. Darren has already ran behind Luke and I throw it to him and watch as Luke gives me an exasperated look and chases Darren out of the room and down the hall.

Charlotte rolls her eyes at the 2 of them. "boys" she moans and I smile. "Tell me about it". I turn to look down at Lea who is in a pretty red shirt and a skirt. "Well don't you look like a princess" I exclaim and her face breaks into a huge smile, showing off her missing tooth.