28) The New Girl

As I shut my locker door Friday morning, the sound of a low whistle greets my ears. I turn around to see what is going on and watch as a short brunette with a small frame ducks her head down lower.

'Strange' I think to myself. 'I've haven't seen her around before'.

Just as she is a few feet away from my locker Bryce Nichols, a huge player, steps into her way. "Hey sexy" he says in a low voice that he thought sounded sexy but that Belle and I had both agreed just made him sound constipated.

"You're in my way" the girl bravely stated but kept her head low. Bryce steps closer to her. "Well I couldn't let someone as sexy as you get away without introducing myself. If you're busy we can continue this introduction later at my place" he purred.

Seeing enough I stepped towards them "Bryce, if the girl liked listening to pigs like you, she would have moved to a farm, not Georgia" I snapped.

Bryce turns slowly towards me. "What's it to you stupid little Claire who looks like a bear?" He taunted. His friends laugh at his unoriginal rhyme.

I stepped closer "You like rhymes? Okay, how about this one. There once was a boy named Bryce, who couldn't read a lick, he thought that he was cooler than ice, but everyone knew he had a small-"

"Finish that rhyme Ms. Adams and I will have to give you another detention" my favorite teacher's voice sounds behind me, but is only heard by me over the laughter from my rhyme.

"Sorry Mr. Solender but he was messing with the new girl" I explain. Mr. Solender glances at the now slightly smiling, still nameless girl. "I see" he starts "well, since you are so set on fighting other people's battles, you can be in charge of showing Ms. Willows around".

I open my mouth to object. Belle and I had planned to meet up, but Mr. Solender was already walking away. I turn back around to the girl and smile. "Hey. I'm Claire" I introduce myself.

She smiles at me. "I'm Riley" she says back, in a surprisingly confident voice. I look over at a retreating Bryce and speak "I'm really sorry about Bryce. He's an ass, but the good news is he's one of the worst so the boys don't get much worse than him".

She laughs. "It's okay, I'm used to rude guys. I live with three".

"Three brothers?" I ask shocked. I knew that having no siblings kind of sucked but having three brothers sounded ten times worse.

"Yeah. The good news is that they're all either in college or have a job and are out of the house".

"Well that's-" I am interrupted by a loud voice shouting "Where is that brilliant blondie Claire Adams!". I turn to see Luke turning the corner. "Present!" I shout back.

As Luke's eyes meet mine his mouth turns into a wide smile and his amazing blue eyes brighten. He runs in my direction with a piece of paper in his hands.

I open my arms as he gets closer and he scoops me into a full blown hug, lifting me up so my legs have to wrap around his waist. I laugh as he twirls me around "You wonderful, wonderful, genius girl!" He shouts loudly.

Finally he sets me down and I basically scream with anticipation. "You got an 85 on the English test?" I ask.

Impossibly, his smile widens even more. "Better. I got a 92!" He shouts loudly. I squeal and pull him into another hug. "Yes! I knew you could do it!".

For the past week I had been helping Luke prepare for our English test. We would study for so long I ended up having dinner at his house every night. He really did deserve his grade.

"Yeah! Luke Evans is passing, bitches" Luke shouts, holding out his test paper with the big red 92 on the top out to the observing hallway.

He turns back towards me. "Thank you so- whose the new girl?" He asks, becoming distracted at the sight of Riley.