30) The Best Friend Meltdown

I wake up to the sound of humming in my ear. Slowly, I open my eyes to see Zack staring down at me, brushing my hair back while humming a somewhat familiar lullaby I had forgotten since I last heard it when I was a child.

"Good morning" I mumble and he smiles back. "It is when I woke up next to you" he spoke. I rolled my eyes and let out a loud laugh. "Cheesy" I replied but that didn't stop him from leaning forward and brushing his lips against mine.

I kissed back and soon the kiss got more passionate. Slowly, I pulled Zack on top of me while he held his weight with his arms. At that moment, a flash of what happened last night at Brandon's house and Belle's face popped into my head.

I groaned in annoyance but I knew what I had to do. "Zack I have to go" I say and hear him groan too. "Do you have to?" he asks, rolling off of me. I smile at him. "Your cousin definitely needs me right now" I reply.

Zack lets out a long huff before replying with a wave of his hand. "Go. Comfort your best friend" he says.

I beam and peck him on the lips before crawling off the blankets and standing up in the gazebo. I blow out the few candles that are still lit from last night and send a final wave to Zack before walking out of the group of trees that shield us from sight.

Belle's house is only a road down so I decide to walk there. I climb the porch steps and ring the doorbell before stepping back, ready for a heartbroken looking Belle.

But I am surprised when the door opens to reveal a perfectly fine looking Belle. She is still in pajama shorts and a tank top but her face didn't reveal a single hint that she had even shed a tear about what she found out last night.

"Hey" she says brightly to me. "Hey" I reply, holding out the word as I looked her up and down. It was like last night never happened. "Should I be concerned right now?" I ask.

"No. I remember what happened last night and I want to forget about it as fast as I can. You want some pizza? It's almost 1" Belle answers before turning around and walking into her house, leaving me no option but to follow her.

"Belle. It's okay to cry. It's normal for people to cry when they find out, well, when they-"

"When they find out the boy they loved used them for a bet?" Belle interrupts in a perfectly calm voice.

"Uh, yeah. Seriously Belle, you don't have to act strong in front of me. You can just let go and-"

"That's the thing Claire, I can't" Belle interrupted yet again, her green eyes glowing with what looked like to me as a hint of insanity. "Because I don't feel any sadness so if you're just here to comfort me when I feel perfectly fine then you can just-"

But Belle is interrupted by her door bell ringing again. I follow her back into the hallway as Belle opens the door to reveal a panicked looking Danny.

"Belle, I'm so sorry about that jackass and if there is anything-" but Danny stops when he sees that Belle looks perfectly normal. His eyes move to mine before talking. "Is she supposed to look this calm?" he asks.

I shrug. "It's Belle. Who knows" but before Danny can reply, Belle lunges for him and whacks him hard in the head.

I run forward as Belle continues her assault on Danny. With every hit she swings at him she emphasizes a single word. "This. Is. All. Your. Fault. You. Jackass!" she screams.

"Ow! What the hell Belle!" Danny shouts back, covering himself with his hands. "You asshole!" Belle screams and continues hitting him.

"Belle!" I shout, pulling her away from Danny. She claws at my arms as I drag her back inside. Danny unintelligently follows us into the house.