16) The Argument

A/N- I put a picture on the side of the character Amanda Evans (Luke's mom), who is played by Jennifer Anniston

"Wake up! Wake up! It's Christmas!".
The sound of Lea's squeal wakes me up.

It takes me a moment before I remember where I am. my arms are wrapped around Luke's neck while my torso is snuggled into his shirtless body and his hands are on the small of my back, where my tank top has gone up a little so half of my stomach is showing.

I groan and use Luke's chest as I rest my hands on him to pull myself up. Luke lets out a groan too while I adjust my tank top and comb my hair back with my fingers.

Luke sits up and rubs his eyes. We stare at each other for a few seconds in silence. "if you pretend this isn't awkward then I'll pretend it isn't either" I finally say and he nods "deal" he says.

We both get up as Lea, Charlotte and Darren barge into the room.

"Wake up it's- Woah, you two slept in the same bed again?" Darren asks as Charlotte's eyes grow wide as she takes in Luke's shirtless body and my barely clothed body. Lea lets out a giggle.

I immediately turn crimson in the face and to my relief Luke does too. "Luke had a nightmare" I dumbly try to explain.

"Oh I'm jealous. Do you want to get rid of my nightmares too? I need a cuddle buddy" Darren teases, making my face more red and making Luke playfully tackle him.

I roll my eyes at the wrestling boys and join Charlotte and Lea on their descend down the stairs. We walk into the living room where Amanda is already there, in a bathrobe and holding a cup of coffee.

"Merry Christmas kids!" She says happily and hugs all of us in turn. Immediately, Lea runs over to the clump of presents and starts picking out the ones with her name on it.

All of the sudden, Darren runs up to Luke and I with a plant in his hand. "Mistletoe" he shouts and plants a kiss on my cheek before I can even open my mouth. "Ha! Suck it Luke!" He gleefully shouts as Luke rolls his eyes at him.

"Dumbass" he mutters and walks away towards Lea.

"Merry Christmas Claire" Amanda says smiling at me and handing me a wrapped gift. "oh my gosh! You didn't have to-"

"Oh yes I did" Amanda says smiling. "After everything you've done for Luke and how amazing you are with my kids? I would be considered a witch if I didn't. Plus, I'm hoping that Luke will be able to use this present too".

Darren snorts from a few feet away from us. "What, did you get her condoms?" making my face turn completely red and causing Luke to freeze in place, right in the middle of opening a present.

Amanda quickly swats Darren on the head. "Get your mind out of the gutter! Honestly, it's Christmas for Christ's sake!". She turns back to me "just open it".

I unwrap the box to find out it is a shiny black camera. Amanda lets out a squeal. "Do you like it?" She asks wringing her hands.

I nod my head in shock. "I don't know what to say. It's- it's beautiful" I praise as I open the box and Amanda claps her hands.

"Good. I really didn't know what to give you but you're in your junior year and that's where all the fun happens. Trust me" she says with a wink making me laugh "and I thought you may want to have some pictures as memories".

"Gosh, I don't know what to say. thank you so much" I say and pull Amanda into a tight hug. "Aww you are more than welcome" she says in my ear.

I pull away and look over at Luke to see him smiling at me and for a single moment, I swear I feel something stir in my stomach.