Hot Chocolate and Coffee

Winter had officially arrived; the temperatures were below freezing at night and Boston had gotten its first snowfall in the second week of December. The timeframe from Thanksgiving to Christmas was always my favorite time of year, snowfall, festive lights, Christmas carols playing all over, and warm drinks – it was certainly the coziest time of the year.

This year, however, I didn't feel very festive even though everything was the same, I just wasn't in a jolly mood. I knew it had to do with the fact that it was the first time that my family wasn't around and things with my dad weren't any better either.

My current situation was also not the best, after Leo and my first fight ever, he called the next morning to apologize for raising his voice and using foul language. There was nothing to forgive because his intentions were good and what he said was right, I was just happy that he wasn't mad at me anymore.

Or so I thought because, after that call, Leo had become very scarce, he never took my calls or returned them, he didn't respond to any of my texts – heck he didn't even open them and when I took the initiative to pay him a visit, he said he was very busy with school stuff so after one cup of coffee and a very vague conversation, I took a hint and left.

I was drowned in revising, presentations, and clinical work too, so I figured he really was busy as the semester was nearing its end. Mitchell and I weren't any better either, we were like two ghosts living under one roof – things were so icy between us that I didn't understand how he didn't move out as yet.

Mitchell tried to make conversation and attempted to fix things between us, but I wasn't ready, I knew if feelings weren't involved, I would've given in a lot quicker but every time I tried, I kept on picturing him with Liza and me alone in that big house of his. I was never one for grudges but that little action of his hurt me a lot more than I thought.

Mitchell eventually isolated himself to his bedroom and stayed out my way, things were so bad that tonight Owen and Faith planned for all of us to go out for dinner and catch up as we hadn't properly done so since we got back from Thanksgiving break. I agreed but Mitchell said he had deadlines to meet so he called for a raincheck, I figured that was because he was giving me space and didn't want Owen and Faith to catch on to our cold war.

Mitchell and I didn't tell Owen and Faith about what happened mainly because we knew that whatever happened between us, indirectly affected them. Owen was always loyal to Mitch and tried to understand why he did certain things and Faith was blinded by her friendship with me, she wouldn't tolerate anyone hurting me. So, to prevent them from having a fallout because of us – like they'd done so in the past – we decided it was best they did not know anything.

It was almost ten-pm when I got back from dinner, I discarded my coat, scarf, and gloves before entering the apartment. The warmth from indoors immediately engulfed me and I sighed in content, winter was my favorite season but the cold in Boston was something I still hadn't gotten used to.

I passed Mitchell's bedroom when I made my way to the kitchen, the lights were still on and the door was halfway open, so I knew he was still awake. It had been almost three weeks since we got back and I missed him, I wasn't completely over what happened, but I needed to make some progress because I hated the situation we were in.

As a lame peace offering, I prepared two mugs of hot chocolate and made my way to his room. I stood at the threshold of the door and watched him busy at his desk. Mitchell wore reading glasses because he was farsighted – he couldn't see very clearly when studying or reading up close. I only discovered that when he moved in, but I still couldn't get used to seeing him with black, square-framed spectacles.

It suited him though, although nothing ever didn't suit him, he was one of those blessed people who could pull off anything, but I still found a way to tease him about it.