Tipping Point

I lay on the couch with a blanket covering my legs and the heat on to a perfect temperature, I sipped on a cup of green tea as I read through the first few pages of my mom's journal.

It had been a little over four months since my mom's passing and after staring at the journal almost every day, I finally gathered the courage to read it on the eve of what was to be her birthday. The first few pages brought a smile to my face, I could almost hear each thought in her voice. She mostly spoke about how excited she was about becoming a mother and about all the changes she was going through – I never thought someone could be happy for an unplanned baby but my mother sure was.

"It's at these times I miss LA," Mitchell who just walked into the apartment said.

"It's freezing out there," He rubbed his hands together before taking a seat on the couch opposite mine.

November had arrived and the days got colder, but life never got less hectic. However, things were a little better for me, Mitchell and I didn't fight other than silly arguments over stupid things like he got mad when I would leave the window open and he would freeze his Californian ass off. He had a habit of being noisy in the mornings, especially with his smoothie maker, I liked to sleep in on the weekends, but the rooster was up at the crack of dawn, making smoothies and getting ready for the gym or a jog.

"It's not so bad," I muttered holding onto the warm cup of tea.

"Says the one snuggled under a blanket with a warm cup of tea," Mitchell snickered, "Try going out there and you'll freeze your ass off."

I shut my mom's journal and glanced at Mitchell, he wore grey sweatpants matched with a black hoodie, his nose was pink from the cold and his eyes looked icy blue – poor guy was freezing.

"Unlike you, I'm not an idiot who goes jogging at eight-am on a Saturday in November when it's like thirty-seven degrees outside."

"It's called fitness," Mitchell retorted taking a sip of water, "It's good for you and helps one unwind."

"Well, you do need to unwind," I mumbled under my breath before taking a sip of tea.

"What was that?" He questioned.

"I was just saying you should take it easy," I flashed him a tight-lipped smile, "Wouldn't want your wiener to freeze and fall off."

"You'd suffer more than me if that were to happen," He smugly retorted.

"I think you mean Olivia," I corrected him, and his smugness died down.

"I told you like a hundred times nothing is going on between us," He sighed in frustration, "I haven't even spoken to her since my birthday."

I put up one hand in a surrender position, "I don't care, so you don't need to explain but if you are bumping uglies with anyone, remember to be safe."

"A baby solely made out of lust grows up... well look at me," I grinned.

"Not that I'm sleeping with anyone but what's wrong with you?" He frowned.

I gave him a look and raised a brow, "I'm Mila."

His frown flattered, "Good point."

"What were you reading?" He casually changed the subject.

Mitchell might've been a bit less of a pusher and had his temper a lot more in check, but one habit never died, and it was his nosiness; he was so damn inquisitive.

"Were you born this nosey or is it something you developed over time?" I asked.

"Who's answering a question with another question now?" He countered.