History Repeats

I stirred in my sleep, letting out a soft moan when the loud chirping of birds interrupted my slumber, I could've slept through it but the awfully loud screeches and squawks of what I assumed were seagulls were louder than an alarm clock.

"Ugh," I groaned and rolled over to the other side of the bed. 

I stretched my arm, I always somehow ended up sleeping as spread out like a starfish, but instead of landing on the soft mattress, my hand sat on something a lot firmer and warmer than I expected. With my eyes still closed and my brain asleep, I frowned and pressed down on the surface and then tapped it a few times.

My frown deepened and with much struggle, I managed to pop one eyelid open, and with a squinted eye, I viewed something next to me that looked the furthest from sheets and pillows.

The morning sunrays were seeping into the room, making everything radiantly bright, light bounced off the white linen but that wasn't what caught my attention and woke up every sleepy molecule in my body, it was the toned and taut torse a mere few inches from me.

Moving over from the exposed v-lines, my eyes slowly traveled up over a bellybutton then ridges of sculptured abs where my hand rested, and then further up a firm, hard chest that dark hair was lightly scattered over.

"Are you done feeling me up?"

My eyes immediately shot up and I let out the biggest sigh of relief when I was greeted by a familiar pair of blue-grey eyes, hooded by long lashes and thick brows – that were arched in amusement.

Mitchell was resting beside me on the bed, covered from his waist downward he was shirtless with his legs sprawled out in front, his back was against the very low headboard with one arm resting behind his head and his phone in the other. He looked a lot fresher than me, but his heavily disheveled hair told me he wasn't awake for a long time.

My head was fuzzy, and it was too early for my brain to think but seeing Mitchell next to me in bed semi-nude started up the panic alarms in my head. I immediately pulled my hand away and my fingers automatically curled into a fist, I stared at him for a moment before my eyes scanned the room I was in and it was nothing like the one I remembered checking into three days ago.

This room for starters was a lot smaller and gave off the feel of a cabin on a ship, the color scheme was light oak, with a soft beige wallpaper around the room. All the furniture appeared to be made of oak, from the little coffee table sitting in front of the small two-seater couch with white cushions that were visible.

"What in the name of..." I trailed off when I hissed in pain, my head felt heavy and as if it were splitting in two.

Mitchell's amused expression dropped, and he looked at me with concern, "Are you alright?"

I fell back on the bed, flat on my back, and pressed my temples in hopes to ease the chaos in my head. With my eyes shut, I began to recall the previous night's happenings, I remembered Owen handcuffing mine and Mitchell's hands and leaving us stranded in Taha'a. We missed the last boat and I refused to check into a hotel with Mitchell but then I internally shuddered when I recalled spotting a snake on the beach and had no choice but to leave with him.

The resort we were taken to was fully booked by a guest who was hosting their birthday party and because of that they only had one vacant room, I refused to take it but eventually gave in when Mitchell convinced me and reminded me of that darn snake. Mitchell promised to sleep on the couch and not bother me, so we checked in and as promised, Mitchell didn't annoy me or get in my space.

I recalled him offering me his shirt to sleep in since my clothes weren't sleep-friendly and taking a pillow off the bed, he made his way to sleep on the couch that looked tiny in comparison to him.