Stay

"It is you!"

I sniffed and wiped my eyes as I pulled away from Mitchell, I knew my tears had dried up some time back but I was just making sure – I didn't need anyone else to know that I was upset.

Mitchell's one arm was still around me as we both turned our heads to see a tall, broad-shouldered, and blue-eyed Owen looking at us as if he just found out aliens really existed.

He took gradual steps towards us, eyes wide and mouth slightly agape, I was staggered to see him too. Since he and Faith went on their honeymoon, neither Mitchell nor I heard from them, I dropped Faith a text a few days ago but that conversation didn't last long, I figured it was because she was busy getting nasty with her husband.

"Oh," He began in a breath, "My God!"

Before he could utter another word, Faith appeared next to him and then Kate who had a small smirk on her face. The trio was standing in front of us as if we were on a stage and they were watching a play, all had a different expression as well. Faith looked confused, Owen just looked outright gobsmacked and as for Mitchell's sister, well I couldn't tell what was going on in her mind as for other than the little smirk, her features were pretty much neutral.

Owen's eyes moved frantically from me to Mitchell and then to Mitchell's arm around me. I averted my gaze, not wanting anyone to notice them being bloodshot or puffy.

I brought my hair around to the front, hoping it would cascade my face and more attention would be drawn to the dark waves rather than my eyes.

"Relax," I felt a slight shiver when Mitchell unexpectedly whispered in my ear, "You're good."

"Mila and Mitchell," Owen gasped, "Still together?"

"And," Owen added as his eyes landed on Mitchell's arm around me, "You're cuddling."

Faith who was blocked out of view due to Owen's large frame walked around him and stood shoulder to shoulder next to him. She looked at me neutrally at first then her eyes slowly rolled to where Mitchell's hand was.

"Mila?" She asked, sounding utterly confused, "I...I don't understand."

"I guess dad was right, you do have yourself a new girlfriend." Kate cooed.

"Um," I shrugged my shoulders so Mitchell would let go, he didn't budge so I gave him a questioning look and he returned it with one which enquired if I were okay. For a moment I was lost in his gaze, he didn't care what anyone said or thought, he was more concerned about me.

I softened my gaze and blinked, telling him I was okay. His lip twitched at the corners and I knew he was surpressing a smile when he gently removed his hand, and just like that, I sort of missed his warmth.

Owen seemed to be scrutinizing our movements and it appeared as if Mitchell didn't care that Owen and Faith were back or that his sister was insinuating something was going on between us. Even though I felt a little awkward because no one had put me first like that in a very long time but I also liked the feeling – I was touched that it was Mitchell who made me feel this way.

"So," Owen began, "What's the deal with you two? Cause the last I remember Mitch left you on the highway and you hit him in the nuts."

"But then you were doing body shots on each other and singing karaoke together." Owen added as an afterthought, "So forgive me if I am extremely confused right now."

"Wait, what?" Kate asked and instead of looking shocked she seemed highly amused, "Mitchy sang again?"

"Mila, are you alright?" Faith asked with softness in her tone, "You're being very quiet and that is not a normal thing."