Chicago

"Wait, you actually went as far as that?" Carmen said through the phone.

"Yep," I grinned, "and I have no regrets, in fact I'm glad I went ahead with it."

Mitchell and I were back on the road after a very quiet lunch at the diner in Detroit, I guess we both were still annoyed at each other – I mean we're always annoyed at each other but this time, it was a little extra. We were on the road for about an hour and the afternoon sun was hitting strongly through the car windshield.

Mitchell was extremely quiet as well, and I wasn't going to break the ice, I had pride and he wasn't worth losing it over. So, when Carmen called, I automatically smiled for numerous reasons, one being I didn't have to sit in the awkward silence and second being I was really missing home, and she was from home.

I was telling her that I visited the Niagara Falls and she was as amazed as me when I described it to her, I really wished she was with me and we could've gone on a road trip together but I knew that wasn't possible.

"And you went alone?" Carmen questioned.

"No, not quite." I admitted, "remember that person I told you about," I paused and glanced at Mitchell who was acting as if he wasn't listening to my conversation but I knew how nosey he was, "the one whom I absolutely cannot stand?"

"You're going to have to refresh my memory," Carmen sheepishly muttered, "you know me and my memory aren't friends."

I remained quiet for a moment, knowing exactly what she meant but the last thing she needed from me was a mopey attitude, so I did what I do best, I carried on with my cheery mood.

"Oh, it doesn't even matter, he's not all that important."

"Uh huh," Carmen drawled, "if that was the case, why did you go with him?"

"I told you, remember I told you in the beginning of the call that my roommate, Faith has decided to elope with her boyfriend, so his best friend and I are going to stop them." I explained again.

The line was silent for a while until I heard Carmen deeply sigh. "I feel like every time you use the word remember; you're taunting me." She snapped.

"What?" I said, my mood immediately changing, "No, I would never Carmen, you know that."

"It's funny that I can remember the road trip we took at the end of senior year, yet I cannot remember you telling me about your roommate." Carmen muttered.

"Our road trip?" I said under my breath.

"Yeah," Carmen replied, "remember we drove my dad's old beaten up van and drove cross country, we didn't have much money, but we still had the best time ever."

I took in a deep breath, "Yeah, I remember."

My tone was off, and I was sure she could catch on.

"You forgot, didn't you?" she asked.

I hesitated for a moment before I answered, "of course not"

"Good, you better not. You always had the better memory than me and don't you dare forget the best memories of our lives." She told me and I could picture smiling as she reminisced.

"I wish I could recall every little detail, like you do." She sighed sadly.

"It's okay," I chuckled to lighten the mood, "I forgot what I had for breakfast this morning, it happens." I attempted making her feel better.

"Don't lie to me Mila." She snapped, "a lie never made any one feel better."

I didn't know what to say because I did lie but only to make her feel better, although I think I was getting her aggravated.