All in a Moment

Dinner with Wang was something I needed but deep down didn't want, even though he did everything he could to distract me, I still couldn't get the image of Liza's hand on Mitchell's while they conversed like a loved-up couple. I was jealous, mad, and hurt even though I knew I had no right to be because Mitchell and I were anything but... I didn't even know what we were anymore.

What hurt the most was the fact that Mitchell preached about lies but he was blatantly lying to me, I had no idea how long he was meeting up with Liza in secret and not saying a word. I recalled him coming home later than usual the previous day and when I asked why he made an excuse and said he was finishing up some work in the library. I now wondered if he was lying about that and was with Liza instead.

If I didn't stop thinking, I would've stood outside my apartment door forever. I was stalling because I didn't want to face Mitchell, I knew he was back because his car was parked in the basement. I didn't want to fight or argue but I also couldn't pretend everything was alright.

I took in a deep breath and reached for my keys before gripping the doorknob but before I could even put the key in, the door opened. I was startled for a second until I met a pair of familiar eyes.

"There you are," Faith breathed in relief, "We were getting worried."

I frowned, wondering why Faith was over and when I entered the apartment, I noticed Owen was present too, but Mitchell was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey," I drawled in confusion, "Did I forget about plans we might've made?" I asked her while my eyes glanced at Owen.

"Nah," Owen answered, "Mitch called us to check if you were with us because –"

Owen was abruptly cut off when Mitchell stormed into the room, shutting the balcony door harshly behind him.

He took fast steps towards me and immediately wrapped me up in his arms, squeezing me while he nestled his nose in my hair, taking in a deep breath while doing so. My body enjoyed the warmth he offered, I ignored the slight smell of tobacco, and instead focused on his cologne and the feel of his body against mine. My mind, however, kept playing back to him and Liza which was why I stood rigid with my hands at my sides.

I was uncomfortable but felt at home at the same time in his embrace, I needed to push him away before I lost control of all logic and my memory was erased from this afternoon. I lifted one hand and awkwardly tapped his back.

"Alright," I muttered, "I'm not dead yet, you can breathe at ease."

"And let go of me while you're at it," I added.

"Where the hell were you?!" He raised his voice once pulling away, but his hands were still on my shoulders.

He appeared to be worried, under normal circumstances, I would've been touched by his concern, but I didn't know if he meant it or if he was a lie to make himself feel better.

"Um," I shifted out of his grip and put a good distance between us, "I was having dinner with..." I was about to say Wang, but I thought I should play Mitchell's game and not give him any details, "With a friend."

Mitchell looked displeased and I just knew what he was thinking, he likely assumed I was with Leo and I was more than happy to let him think so.

"Leo?" Mitchell asked bitterly.

"I have friends other than Leo," I replied as I discarded my coat.

Mitchell scoffed, "The person who refused to acknowledge Faith as her best friend now has other friends."

"Hey man," Owen who could see that Mitchell was losing his cool, "Mila is back safe and sound, can we just focus on that."

Mitchell exhaled and pinched the bridge of his nose, he didn't pay heed to Owen because he added in a snappy tone, "No, the point is Mila should've had the common courtesy to drop a text and inform me or at least answer her fucking phone!"