Camp Shenanigans

When I was in school I was athletic, I participated in many sports and pushed myself to learn new things all the time, but one thing I couldn't ever learn to do was swim, I never went to lessons or had anyone in my life who taught me.

As soon as I was under the water there was a loud sound of water gushing in my ears and I was kicking my hands and legs around trying to reach the surface but I couldn't, my legs needed to touch a surface but when I looked down I couldn't see anything but water.

My heart was racing, and I was panicking, I was drowning, and no one was coming in to help me. The water was very deep and dark, I could see anything nor could I hear anything other than the sound of water.

I couldn't hold in my breath anymore and I felt water go in my nose and mouth and fill my lungs, as each second passed I found it harder and harder to breathe. My brain was becoming fuzzy and my mind couldn't stay awake, my eyes were shutting, and I was slowly slipping into an unconscious state.

Just as my eyes were about to close, I felt two strong arms grab me and hurriedly pull me up to the surface.

I wasn't fully aware of what was happening but as soon as oxygen touched my nose and mouth, I began coughing and gasping for air. I spat out whatever water was in my mouth; my throat and nose were burning, and my chest hurt like hell.

I felt a hand on my face and when I opened my eyes fully, I looked at Mitchell in front of me, his face and hair were drenched, his one hand holding tightly onto me.

"Mila." He called my name.

I didn't respond, I was still in a state of shock and panic. I was gasping for air and hyperventilating.

"Hey, Mila." He called again. "Look at me."

Still breathing heavily, I looked at him and he was frowning.

"Hold onto me." He instructed me.

I shook my head.

He clenched his jaw. "Don't be stubborn with me right now!"

I was too weak and breathless to argue. I blinked twice and took in a deep breath before I looked him in the eye.

"Don't let me go." I said between gasps.

He shook his head and earnestly said. "I won't."

I nodded and wrapped my arms around his neck, as I did, he let go of me for a split second and as soon as I lost feeling of his touch panic set in and I began hyperventilating.

"Don't." I gasped.

He quickly wrapped an around me again. "I got you."

I was still gasping, looking at the frightening water.

"Mila." He calmly called my name. "Look at me."

I looked at him and he reassured me with his eyes that he wasn't going to let me drown.

"I got you, trust me okay." he said softly looking into my eyes.

I tightened my hands around his neck and literally held onto him for dear life; my body was practically clutching onto his. I looked into his eyes and I could see that there was no funny business or anything sarcastic, for the first time Michell was being sincere with me.

I swallowed, feeling my throat burn and my chest hurt from all the coughing and water invasion as I nodded in response.

"I'm going to need my arm to swim to the shore so I'm going to have to let one arm go, so don't freak out." He calmly said.