Our Cherished History {James Potter}

James Potter had found himself madly in love with his best friend. She had been with him since their first year. They had met on the platform before they even got to board the train. She had bumped into James and her bag of itching powder had crashed onto the floor and poofed in their faces. She hadn't even apologized but rather laughed wildly as she itched her face. James thought her laughter was utterly contagious and couldn't help but join in. James' father had quickly helped them before they were to board.

They spent the train ride explaining the incident to Sirius. Then they eventually met Remus and Peter and the group had remained together ever since. They had all lived with James' obsession with Lily for six long years. Till the unimaginable happened. Lily said yes.

Lily and James had dated for about five months. Things were good. In the very beginning. But then the couple started to argue. They disagreed on much. They constantly fought, much drama was caused by their relationship. And the marauders had to deal and listen to it all.

The marauders never knew what the fights were about. But James did. A lot of them consisted of small things. Disagreements and the way both James and Lily saw things. But the big fights... the big fights were saved for discussions of James' feelings.

Lily believed James didn't love her. Not truly. With his growing maturity and flirtations, she had fallen for him. It was too late when she realized that James didn't love her as she did him. She believed James' heart belonged to another. More specifically, his best friend.

James denied it fiercely. He was so deep into his obsession with the redhead that he didn't even realize who had held his heart from the moment her laugh rang out through platform 9 ¾. Lily Evans had broken up with him. He was distraught for about a week. His best friend being right by his side throughout the entire time. It was only then that he realized Lily was right. He was in love with her.

He loved her hair and how it blew in the breeze as she whipped down a Quidditch field, he loved her eyes whenever she would laugh at a joke he made, he loved how his name fell off her lips even in the most casual of settings and even more so how her name felt on his. He cursed himself for not using her name enough. The marauders nickname for her was Dash. Not only for her animagus but for the fact that she was the best chaser in hogwarts. Quick as lightning they said.

But James wanted everything with her now. He wanted to kiss her, hold her, be with her always, say her name freely. And he was going to be able to do just that... if she agreed to be with him that is.

So that's how James found himself now; pacing in the Gryffindor common room. He thought of how to admit his feelings for her. How to ask her to be his.

The portrait hole opened and for a moment James' heart seized. Whether that was in excitement or life gripping fear, he did not know. But instead of it being her coming through the portrait, it was his ex, Lily Evans.

James froze in his pacing and stood still in the empty common room. Lily, who hadn't been looking up as she walked in, but was rather reading a muggle book, when the silence in the room caused her to look up. Her eyes immediately connected onto his. And his immediate reaction was to send her an awkward smile. She shook her head, a small smile gracing her own face as she looked down before meeting his eye again.

"Potter," she said as she walked up to him. This time James managed to send her a real smile. He tried to look at her as he once did. As the most perfect girl in the world. He tried to remember what it felt like for his heart to race whenever he saw her. But he couldn't. Because now that he felt and understood true love, he knew what he had with Lily was child's play compared to what he had with his best friend.

"Evans," he said back, smiling as he nodded to her. He saw her clutch her book tighter as she rested her hip against one of the couches. She looked around the empty room.