The Comfort We Give {Draco Malfoy}

It had happened again. Bruises decorated my face, deep gashes were made all across my cheeks and neck, and just about every inch of my body ached in agony. Results of the Cruciatus curse. The damn Carrow siblings don't seem to know when they go too far.

And all because Draco couldn't grow the balls and defend me. A muggle-born. A muggle-born he said he loved, no less. Damn him and his self-preserving Slytherin arse!

I drag myself up to the room of requirement and head inside for at least a little bit of sanctuary. Of peace in the midst of all this horror.

"What happened to you?" Neville asked as he came rushing up to me. He picks up my left arm and helps me over to one of the many cots. I look up at him, disgust evident on my face.

"The Carrow twins, of course. Bloodied me up pretty bad, they did. Used an unforgivable curse. The usual..." I trail off weakly. Neville helps settle me down on the bed. He crouches in front of me and looks at each wound individually.

"The usual, eh?" He asks quietly. I nod in return, damn emotions threatening to spill out if I utter another word. He sighed deeply and patted my knee before standing back up. "Well, luckily for you, we just had another round of deliveries made and I have just the right herbs to help cure what ails you," Neville says optimistically.

I raise a brow and try my best to smile. But I end up wincing from the two large splits in my lip, my hand flying to cover my mouth. I really didn't wish to bleed anymore. Neville sighs again and leaves my side in order to get the medicine.

"And what did Malfoy do about it?" Neville asked me, his back facing me as he looked through all the bottles of medicine. And yet I still look away from him, glancing down at my lap.

"Nothing..." I murmur, hoping he didn't hear me. But of course, he did, there weren't many people in here yet. Neville doesn't hold back his scoff.

"Heh, figures. For someone who says he wants to be good, he sure isn't acting like it." My gaze snaps back up to look at him as he knocks bottles over, the sound ringing in my ears and making the headache I had ten times worse.

"Oy! Lay off, Longbottom," I swipe at him, my brows furrowed tightly and my shoulders turned stiff. I could tell my form was defensive but I couldn't manage to break it. No matter how hard I tried. Neville shakes his head in disappointment but doesn't say a word in response. And I get it.

After Harry, Hermione, and Ron had left for a secret mission and left us with the promise that after this journey, they would be able to defeat Voldemort; the rest of us at school felt lost. Ginny more than anyone. But we understood; we had to. Then with Snape as headmaster and other Death Eaters flooding the once safe school we called home, things took a turn for the worst.

Everyone was miserable, we didn't know what to do. What we could do! It was Neville's idea to create a place where we could go to heal in the room of requirement. The Carrow twins made sure we never got treatment from the infirmary. We had sanctuary in the room of requirement and it's what kept all of our spirits lifted until Harry came back.

But then... Draco had dragged me into a different room of requirement. The room where he had mended the wardrobe. We had a... relationship of sorts. Never kissed, never even held hands. There was the tension of wanting to. But never taking that final step. It may have not been the final step, but Draco was moving forward as he took me into that room and gushed about all his doubts and regrets during sixth year and this year. He told me he wanted to be good. I had to believe him. After everything he's ever told me and how vulnerable he looked as he told me his regrets. I had no other option.

But... ever since then. He hasn't done much to prove his words true. I try and push him. I try and be there for him. I try to get him to better himself. He's expressed he wants to. All I can do is help guide him.