To Gather Your Courage {Neville Longbottom}

My hand flew up to clutch an object I wasn't completely aware of. My gaze was too focused on him, my mind muddled as I wondered what he could possibly be thinking of at this very moment.

I squeezed the rather squishy object tighter as he walked down the row across from me in the great hall. He was carrying a rather large plant with him and I wanted more than anything, to grow the courage to walk up and ask if it was an extra assignment from Professor Sprout or if he was simply carrying a potted plant for fun. I wouldn't put it past him.

"Ow!" Hermione's voice shouted. My eyes immediately left him to look over at Hermione. My eyes widened once I realized she had yelled because of me. Turns out, the object I was squeezing just so happened to be Hermiones bicep. My hand flew off her arm and into my lap. Hermione, Ron, and Harry all looked over at me, causing a light blush to flush upon my cheeks.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know what I was doing," I excused nervously. Harry's brows furrow deeply.

"What were you looking at?" He asks, his head turning to look around the great hall.

Before I had to think of an answer, Neville reached our table and nodded, that adorable smile on his face as he held his plant right to his chest.

"Good morning, all," he said in passing as he continued walking, his eyes meeting each of ours separately. It was probably wishful thinking that made me imagine his eyes lingering on mine. I sigh wistfully and watch him all the way until he reaches Ginny and Luna. He smiled at both of them before setting down the pot and sitting next to it. I couldn't help the scowl that rose on my features.

I knew nothing had gone on with Neville and Ginny after the yule ball, but the way Neville seemed to look at Luna made my chest ache and my head hurt.

"Longbottom, really?" A deep voice asked. More specifically, Ron's deep voice. I whirled around to face them all, Hermione smirking, Ron looking completely unimpressed, and Harry looking between all of us, wondering what was happening here exactly.

"What?" I ask stupidly. Ron's face somehow manages to drop even more.

"Longbottoms the bloke you fancy?" Ron asks, his features showing how much he didn't understand why.

"Now who said that?" I ask, trying to play dumb. Hermione laughed, pushing me lightly.

"It's not a bad thing! Not at all. You two would make a fine match," she gushes. I duck my head, trying to hide my blush.

"That would be nice to know if I did fancy him, or if he even fancied me, I gather," I ramble, not daring to look up at anyone.

"What're you going on about?" Hermione asked.

"You don't think Neville fancies you?" Ron asked. My eyes meet his automatically.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask, moving closer to the table as I looked between Ron and Hermione. They glance at each other with identical grins. Harry randomly scoffed.

"You'd have to be blind as a bat to not notice how Neville looks at you," Harry finally throws his two cents in once he realized I had fancied Neville as much as they assume he fancies me. We all turn to look at him. Harry takes off his glasses and holds them out to me. "Here, try these. Maybe you're having a sight issue," he quips, a serious look on his face. When I don't take the glasses, he smirks and puts his glasses back on. I roll my eyes and look back to Hermione.

"Exactly what Harry says," Hermione speaks, motioning towards the-boy-who-lived. "Neville looks at you with far more interest than he ever has looking at some Herbology book," she continues, causing my eyes to widen. More than a Herbology book?! Couldn't be. My heart starts picking up speed and I wipe the sweat on my hands onto my skirt.