Shattered {George Weasley}

I watch him as they lower Fred's body into the ground. He wasn't crying... Everyone was crying. His family, their friends, even people who just liked their shop. And even me. I had lost my best friend and the twin to the love of my life.

Even the bloody sky was crying as rain thrashed all around us in despair. Dark clouds were rolling into as if to take him from this earth and welcome him into the heavenly beyond.

George removes his hand from mine to take a step towards his twin's grave; the first to throw dirt onto the coffin. George takes the shovel and digs it into the dirt. He leaves it there for a moment, his head hung low, drops of rain falling off his red hair and onto the earth. He finally picks the shovel up and drops it onto the coffin.

His knees buckle slightly and I'm quick to rush up to him and put my arm around his waist.

"I gotcha Georgie. I'm here," I murmur into his good ear. He nods, letting the shovel fall onto the ground. I guide him back to our spot.

Everyone's soon walking up to shovel a handful of dirt onto Fred's grave. Molly, who's sobbing uncontrollably. Arthur, who's right after her and right by her side, trying to remain strong. It was hard to distinguish between his tears and the rain. Bill, who looked to be angry and in anguish. Charlie, who cried openly and fully. Ron and Hermione who held each other and they tossed in some dirt; Hermione burying her face into Ron's chest after. Then Ginny. Ginny who tried to remain tough. But as the shovel dug into the pile of dirt, her composure began to crack. She dropped the shovel, wailing out, gravity threatening to pull her down when Harry lunges forward, moving down to speak to her quietly. She cried into him for awhile before she managed to nod at whatever Harry was saying. They both stood up, each of them holding the shovel. They dug up the dirt together and tossed it into the grave.

I gulp through the lump in my throat. I hadn't noticed until now how tight George was holding me. I turn my head to look up at him.

"I need to go now, Georgie," I say quietly. I notice the distance in his eyes. How far off they seemed. He doesn't respond or look at me as he lets go of my waist.

I walk forward, placing a hand in the pocket inside my jacket. I clutch the object tightly. I step up and look down at the dark brown coffin, the word 'mischief' engraved onto the top of it. I force down my cries, causing the ache in my chest to increase. I squeeze my eyes tightly before walking towards the shovel. I dig the shovel into the now small pile of dirt before slowly bringing it to the grave.

I pause, thinking how this signifies his end. His life. This wasn't a joke or a prank. This wasn't just a casualty of war. This was so much more and it hurt so much more than I ever thought anything could hurt. A tear falls down my cheek as I let the dirt fall into his grave. I step up to the stone.

'Fred Weasley
loving brother, son, and friend.
As long as laughter never dies, neither shall I'

"Goodbye, Freddie," I whisper, taking the object out of my jacket and leaning down in order to get close enough and let it fall on top of all the dirt we had tossed.

It had taken hours. Hours of cleaning, hours of magic. But I had found it. It wasn't broken. It remained intact. I swear I could almost feel it weeping alongside us for it's now late master. I had found Fred Weasley's wand, and now it was back where it belonged. With him.

I step back and join George at his side.

The funeral finishes and eventually everyone leaves. But George and I remain. We stand next to his grave and we don't speak, we hardly even move. But eventually, the rain calms down, and George leans down close to me.

"Let's go home, love," he speaks lowly. I nod and remove his hand from my waist in order to grab it. I apparate us back to the apartment above the shop.