Falling On Holiday Vacation {Neville Longbottom}

I walk slowly around the black lake, deeply engrossed with my book. Or I tried to be, that is. When in actuality, my mind was a whirling mess of thoughts. This was the first holiday season I was going to have with Neville as an official couple. We had gotten together near the end of last year. And now here we are.

I was disappointed we wouldn't be spending it together, but I knew how much Neville loved his family. I couldn't understand it, after all they did to him, but Neville had a big heart. And I cared for that big heart.

The splashing of water managed to drive my thoughts away from my previous thoughts and the book I was trying to use as a distraction. I had thought maybe a merperson had come up from the water to cause mischief. I was not in the mood. But my eyes widened in surprise upon seeing Neville skipping rocks.

"Neville?" I call out, closing my book and carefully making my way over to him. Neville stops his arm from swiftly moving forward and instead looks over his shoulder to meet my eye.

"Oh, hello," he says, dropping the rock before dropping himself onto a large log that had fallen from somewhere. I suspected Hagrid had moved it here from some other area. I walk over and end up sitting next to him.

"What's wrong? Why are you here and not back home?" I ask softly, letting my arm go to rest on his thigh. He sighs deeply, moving his own hand to mine and intertwining them together.

"Plans changed, I don't really feel like talkin' about it," he explains. His voice sounded so sad. I hated seeing him so down. I squeeze his hand.

"I'm sorry," I say, continuing with my softer tone. He simply nods in response.

"What about you? Why aren't you home?" He asks, trying to shift the conversation. I knew he didn't feel like talking so I took the bait.

"Things at home aren't the best right now. I thought it best for everyone if I was left out of the drama," I explain, my thoughts drifting off to a whole different and much more saddening topic than simply not being able to spend the holiday with my boyfriend. Neville squeezes my hand.

"Well at least now we'll be able to spend the holiday together," he says optimistically. When I look up at him, I can't help but smile. He was too cute. I give him a firm nod.

"I would love to spend the holiday with you," I express sincerely. Neville lets out a toothy grin that only causes my smile to widen.

"So, what should we do first?" He asks, sounding more and more excited by the minute.

"So what exactly are we doing?" Neville asks. I was surprised he waited that long to ask. Not too surprised, he was too polite to question anyone at first.

After he had asked, I knew immediately what we should do. I was originally going to walk around, sulk, and do nothing all day. But now that I had Neville, and Neville and I needed some cheering up, I knew exactly where we should go. So I had grabbed his hand and began dragging him to the castle.

He had stayed silent all the way from the woods, through the castle, across all the halls necessary to get to the one eyed witches passageway. I stopped at the portrait. He looked between it. And me.

"What're we going here?" He asks quietly. I grab both of his hands and face him head on.

"Can you keep a secret?" I ask. Neville goes to ask but I quickly interrupt him. "This secret is known only by few. Four to be specific. Well, eight if we're counting that original founders, but we're not. So four. And you cannot tell anyone about this if I show you. You must take it to your grave. Do you solemnly swear not to tell a soul?" I rush out, but manage to keep my tone serious. Neville gulps but nods regardless.