The Ticking Countdown {Remus Lupin}

The night of New Years Eve was always a huge and joyous celebration, as is the Potter way. All of the Marauders' parents came to the party, except for Sirius' parents as they were all too busy shoving sticks up each other's arses. But James, Remus, and Peter's parents came every year and often used that night to let loose and get as rowdy and mischievous as the Marauders themselves.

You had invited your parents as this was the first holiday season that had come since befriending the Marauders. You watched from your spot on the couch as your parents mingled nervously. But as Fleamont urged them to try a new potion he had made just for tonight's occasion, you knew they'd be fine.

"I swear I'm gonna do it!" Sirius shouted, bringing your attention back to your group of friends. You look over, seeing Sirius' excited expression and James who merely rolled his eyes, a large grin on his face.

"I will hex you. Don't try me, Black," James shot back teasingly though he tried to keep his features serious. It was all in fun.

Sirius had spent the day joking and teasing James that at midnight, he would be the one to kiss him. James had continued to scoff and say 'no you won't' whenever Sirius brought it up. Though as the night went on, Sirius was looking more and more determined.

You feared Sirius was taking this as if it was a bet. That James was practically daring Sirius to do it every time he rejected the idea. James should've known better but he was careless whenever Lily was around and she too had been invited to the party this year as she had every year. Only this year she actually said yes, much to all of your surprise. What wasn't a surprise was how Lily's appearance was affecting James.

You personally, we're hoping Remus would take the initiative and finally kiss you when the clock struck. You two had flirted relentlessly and you were even sure an afternoon you two spent together was meant to be considered a date... but neither of you had gathered the courage to kiss the other. You hoped tonight would finally push him to do so.

The clock was ticking and everyone was on the edge of their seats. As the last minutes of the year rang, everyone gathered in the living room, waiting to come into the new year together.

"5..!"The crowd shouted, everyone standing around with champagne and fun decorations surrounding you all. Streamers, hats, confetti ready to throw, lights, drink, food, and an abundance of other decorations. The Potters always went full out during the holidays.

"4..! You glanced at Remus, just as you caught him looking away. Your eyes look down to your glass as your cheeks heat.

"3..!" You feel yourself scooting over, closer to Remus.

"2..!" Your breath catches in your throat.

"1..!" You catch Remus shifting from the corner of your eye and you swear he's actually going to do it.

"Happy New Years!" Everyone cheered. Others surrounding you all threw confetti out into the crowd. You all began to raise your glasses and clink them when Sirius rounds James and sends a kiss right smack on his lips. James' eyes widened considerably as their lips pressed firmly together. James blinks and instantly backs away, sputtering out and heaving out breaths. He briefly glances at Lily, seeing her own shocked expression, and downs his entire glass of champagne.

"Was it as good as you've always imagined?" Sirius asked with a cocky grin on his face. James jerked his head over to look at his best friend.

"I'm gonna get you for this," James breathes out, cheeks red and very clearly embarrassed. I doubt Sirius was the one he wanted to kiss tonight. James slips his wand out of his pocket and Sirius' smile grows wider.

"Can't use magic outside of Hogwarts, mate," he responds cheekily. James just shakes his head.

"This is worth expulsion," he states before running towards Sirius. Sirius' eyes become wide as saucers. He lets out a whimper before leaping over the back of the couch and swiftly sliding between the crowd, heading towards the backyard where the rest of the party is. James quickly follows until they're both completely out of sight. Laughter comes from the rest of your friends as they watch the two boys disappear into the party crowd.

Suddenly the sensation of warm lips press against your cheek. Your head jerks as you look to the side and see Remus smiling warmly at you. He licks his lips nervously, bringing them to your attention.

"Happy New Years, love," he says with a warmth that melts throughout your chest. You breathe in deeply, looking between his lips and his gorgeous eyes. The cheek doesn't feel like enough. His brows furrow as you hesitate to respond. Gathering your courage you straighten your back, set down your glass, and look Remus in the eye.

"Happy New Years, Rem," you breathe out before taking that final step closer to him. You feel his breath hitch as your left hand slides in his hair. You look down at his lips. "Tell me no if you don't want this," you rush out, not wanting to wait. You can't meet his eye, the idea of rejection making you sweat.

"I can't do that," he says, his arms wrapping around your waist and pulling you against him as his lips capture yours. The sound of surprise you let out is muffled by your kiss. But you quickly melt into it as his lips mold against yours.

Your hand cups his jaw as you angle your face in order to kiss him more deeply. He breathes you in as he kisses you sensually. He takes his time, slowly kissing you, feeling your lips move against his, feeling the brush of your tongue, feeling the warmth of you. There's a lightness in your entire being. You felt like you were floating.

A loud yelp causes you two to break apart. You lean away from each other, looking into each other's eyes immediately. You notice his flushed face, his now grinning expression, his bright eyes. He was beautiful. His breaths were harsh and hurried as he looked over you as well. It appeared as though he almost believed this wasn't real. You almost believed it too. But he was here. He was holding you tightly against him. All of him. And that was definitely real.

"We'll talk more later, yeah?" He spoke through his breaths. You nod lightly, feeling incredibly dazed and lightheaded.

"Definitely," you respond, causing his grin to widen.

You both look over towards where the loud yelp had come from just as Sirius and James appeared back before you all. All conversations from your group of friends stopped as they came into view. You found yourself a bit surprised as Remus kept his arm around you, keeping you firmly against him. But you also found you liked it quite a bit. Or a lot.

You all looked over Sirius who had ash stricken across his face and his entire head of hair stuck upwards towards the sky. It looked as though a firecracker went off close to him. Though he appeared unharmed.

James picks up the glass of champagne you were pretty sure was Sirius' and raises it high in the air. His smile was large and his body language appeared to be smug.

"Happy New Years everyone!" He called out, causing everybody to echo it back. And indeed it was.