It Is Just Tea {Benedict Bridgerton}

The Bridgerton's lounged in the drawing room as they usually did when the days lulled and the invitations had yet to arrive. Spending their day doing various activities that they had been taught from an early age.

Benedict leaned closer to Colin, whispering feverishly as you walked into the room, going unnoticed by your husband or anyone else as they were all immersed in their own business.

Your brows furrow, smile amused as you take in your husband's excited expression whilst Colin grows more weary by the moment, his eyes glancing between Benedict and their mother.

Looking away you notice a cup of tea of a precarious color sitting idly next to Benedict's sketchbook. Having just gotten back to the home, you were rather parched yourself. Glancing at Benedict you see him still deep in conversation with Colin, obviously trying to convince him of something.

Not thinking your husband would mind you taking a bit of his tea, you take hold of the cup and bring it to your lips. Your face twisted and screwed up at the taste of perhaps the most awful tea you had ever tasted in your entire life. It had the strangest texture as well. You knew how Benedict preferred his tea but perhaps he wanted to try something new. And perhaps that is why the cup appeared to be basically untouched. But despite the taste, it satiated your desperate need for a drink, so you continued to swallow it down.

It only took a few moments before two loud gasps sounded out throughout the quiet room and both Benedict and Colin shouted your name.

"Don't drink that!" They both followed with as they came rushing over to you. You choke on the drink from the sudden noise before carefully setting it back down, clearing your throat, and watching with wide eyes as the brothers came to stand before you. Your eyes locked onto Benedict's shocked expression.

"I'm sorry, dear. I didn't think you'd mind. It is just tea," you explain, brows furrowed, motioning toward the drink.

"Yes, brother. You're married now. I think it's about time you learn to share," Eloise called out from her spot in the room, book in hand. Benedict took a moment to glare at his sister from over his shoulder before his eyes fell back on you, the look in them more concerned now than shocked. He took a step closer.

"It's not just tea, my love," Benedict explained, a grin threatening to pull at the corner of his lips. You inhale sharply, placing a hand on your stomach to center yourself.

"Then what is it?!" You ask, a bit too loud, your head jerking to the side to look down at it. Benedict and Colin are quick to shush you, bringing your attention back to them. You look at them expectantly, wondering what it is exactly you just drank.

"Um..." the brothers say together, sending each other dubious looks. Your brows furrow, eyes moving between them. Worry began churning your stomach the longer they hesitated.

"Is it medicine?" You ask, needing any answer they'll give at this point. "It certainly tasted as foul as medicine often does," you add, pursing your lips in disgust at the memory of that awful taste. Benedict's lips pull down into a pursed frown, often a sign he was attempting to hold back his laughter. Which only caused you to grow even more confused.

Benedict quickly took notice of your expression and his features softened. He moved over to your side, wrapping an arm around your waist and tucking you firmly against him, sending down a soft smile.

"Yes, dear, some may describe it as medicinal," he explains lightly, causing Colin to snort and his mother to scold him for it. You look to Colin, not understanding what was so funny. This had begun to grow frustrating and you were feeling stranger as the minutes ticked on.

"Well will it harm me?" You question a little more firmly, raising a brow at Benedict. His mouth drops open but nothing comes out. He hesitates, appearing to not know what to say.