Yule Ball Date Exchange {James Potter}

I was sitting in one of the windows along the outskirts of the courtyard, merely minding my own business and reading my book when I suddenly got interrupted by the loud, raging war cry of Sirius Black.

I look up, carefully setting my book in my lap as my eyes catch onto Sirius' form. His head tilted back with pride as he aggressively barked into the air. Students looked at him strangely as they passed but no one laughed or said anything. Of course they wouldn't, it would Sirius Black.

His eyes locked onto mind as he let out a particularly loud bark. Then he began to jog over to the window I sat at. When he reached me, he skidded to a halt, not even a lick out of breath.

"Sit," I offer, nodding to the space in front of me. He smiles widely and doesn't hesitate before sitting. "Good boy," I tease, leaning forward to pat down his hair. And though he rolled his eyes, he couldn't help but smile at being pet. Eventually he smacked my hand away and looked at me expectantly.

"Ok, enough. Do you happen to know where James is? I've been looking for him all morning," Sirius complains, the beginning signs of a pout on his face. My face drops of emotion, causing Sirius to sniff and pull a grin to his face. "You haven't seen him around or heard any shrieks of Snivellus and his gang, have you?" Sirius asks, maintaining that smirk. I shake my head and pat his head, finally bringing a genuine grin on his face.

"No, I haven't. But believe me I've been keeping an eye out," I grumble. His brows furrow.

"And what's that, little dove?" He asks, a spark of mischief glittering in his grey eyes.

"I may or may not have enchanted his trousers to fall every time he stands after sitting. The enchantment may have also not allowed him to take off said trousers for twenty-four full hours," I say, a sheepish smile on my face. Sirius looks at me seriously for a moment before my hand falls from his head as he shakes around laughing loudly.

His contagious laughter fills the area and after my cheeks are red and my chest hurts from holding it in, I let out my laughter and join in. We lean on each other, breath heaving as we laugh. We cough and wheeze, not being able to stop.

But eventually we calm down and Sirius let's put a bark of laughter before inhaling deeply.

"Oh yeah, James is so going to get you back for that." I groan pathetically.

"I know! I have to look out."

"So you'll let me know if he comes to see you then? Or if you see him and somehow manage to sneak away," he asks with a few snickers escaping him. I scrunch my nose at him but nod nonetheless.

"Yes, yes, I'll let you know if I happen upon him. Now can you please leave me alone so I can read for awhile?" I ask with a few light pushes on his arm. He rocks back and forth, laughing lightly.

"Nerd," he mutters, a smile strung widely on his face. I stick my tongue out at him.

"Dog," I bite back. He sticks his own tongue out in return before walking past me to try and find James.

I go back to my book and eventually, I'm able to disappear within the world and ignore everything around me. It was quiet and my mind was filled with adventure. I was enjoying the warmth on my face mixed with a nice breeze and I was entirely calm.

I didn't know how much time had passed. I was usually a slow reader who enjoyed taking in every word and description of the book. But as I looked up, I noticed the sky was beginning to turn a warm yellow and I knew it was about to get dark in an hour or two. But I was far too invested in the story to stop now. I'd wait till dark. I was just about to focus back in on my book—