D7 male - Miles Wilson - Task 4 [TeamQuirky]

Miles awoke feeling slow and groggy. A little tongue was licking his face. He opened his eyes to stare at a large white room and Tobias' little dog, Buck, on his chest licking his face. His chest ached and itched like crazy but when he tried to raise his right hand to scratch it he couldn't. He pushed Buck from his chest and rolled onto his side, feeling too dizzy to sit up, and looked what was wrong with his hand. Around his wrist was a silver coloured ring. For a moment he thought it was a bracelet until he saw the chain leading from his to an identical silver bracelet around some one else's wrist. Tobias lay next to him his left wrist cuffed to Miles' right. He was slowly stirring and waking up as well. Miles, feeling a little less dizzy sat up and looked around the room. On the floor lay all the remaining Tributes. All were slowly stirring and waking from what ever the peacekeepers had injected them with. A clicking noise reached his ears as doors on a balcony above them opened. Occisora Crudelis walked out smiling smugly at them.

"Hello, my dears. I'm sure a few, if not all of you, are surprised to see me," She said. Miles was surprised to see her. He may not have killed her but he had a feeling some one else would have. He eyed Amabel thinking she as a career must have taken the chance. And Jet Flash would have given the chance. He looked like the kind of guy who liked bloodshed.

 “A new day a new challenge,” Occisora continued, “I'm sure you have noticed you are handcuffed to another. Maybe you have noticed an itch in your chest... Perhaps you have taken a look under your shirt and seen the stitches.” she paused, smiling so smugly, looking out at everyone.

With his left hand Miles pulled up his shirt to look at his itching and sore chest. He counted seven stitches running dow her middle of his chest. The stitches were at the same hight as his heart which filled him with dread. What ever this was it was not good news.

 “Well, I will get to that later,” Occisora giggled. “Through those door is a forest,” she said motioning to big white doors opposite her, “in which you will have to survive until noon tomorrow. At noon tomorrow you will gather at he flag for the next part of these Games. If you do not get there within the hour... well, no need to worry about that now.” More bad news Miles suspected. He had liked her at the feast. Had thought her genuine. He had thought she might want to help them and their families. She may be a pawn in the Capitol's game but he had hoped she would help with small acts of deviance. He sighed, she was just as bad as the others, no she was worse.

 “It might be a little bit difficult to find shelter and water and to fight while handcuffed to one another. If you wish to be unlinked the key is within your reach,” Miles didn't hold his breath, this could not be good news.

 “You each have a key.” Miles ran a finger along the blade of the axe he wore at his belt. He wondered if he could throw it far and high enough to hit her.

 “I said I would get back to the stitches in your chest and now I will. The key is in your chest. Or rather your partner's chest. It is buried near their heart. If you want to open the cuffs all you need to do is cut the key out of them.” Miles looked up at the smirk on her face before turning his head to look at Tobias. Tobias looked back. They were sizing each other up wondering if the other would be willing to kill.

 “Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour.” She finished with a look of malice before sweeping out of sight. The doors on the other side started to open slowly. Miles got to his feet and dragged the groggy Tobias with him.

 “we'd better get going before the others really wake up,” he muttered pulling Tobias after him. The other Tributes were getting shakily to their feet and some had even started to fight each other even though most of them were still unsteady on their feet. There was blood and falling and fighting people all around. Miles blessed the lord he was left-handed and took the axe from his belt.