D1 Male - Jet Flash - Task 3 [ScarlettDragone]

As soon as we got through the door and down the corridor, a line of peacekeepers stood before us like a wall blocking our path. A few of them stepped forward and I edged back, cautious. One of them jerked his head, a sign for us to follow him.

Eve nodded her head, obviously not looking for a fight and followed. How foolish! We had no idea what was to come. This was repeated with everyone else and all they could do was obey as a herd of sheep following the shepherd would. 

Eventually, my turn came. A peacekeeper stepped forward and beckoned with a finger. For some reason, I did as the others had. Without thinking, or willing, my body followed the peacekeeper. No concern for the other tributes popped up in my head, but Evie did. Her smile flashed in my mind and I was instantly calmed.

Before I knew it, I was shoved into a room, the door clicking shut behind me. I was alone. Alone in a room with a table piled high with food, and two chairs either side. Drooling at the sight, I bought myself back to my senses. Could this possible be yet another trap?

For the first time in months, my head was wrapped in confusion. Was this just another test? Or was it for me to regain my energy? Was the food poisoned or was I being too paranoid?

Clutching my head in my hands, I collapsed into one of the chairs. My eyes scanned the table, searching. Searching for what?

This is getting worse by the minute. My body keeps acting subconsciously. It's like I'm acting like another oblivious human. If I'm not careful, I'll end up making mistakes I will regret.

Eventually my eyes rested on a golden oval shaped locket. It glinted in the light and I debated whether picking it up was a good idea or not. Curiosity burned my mind and soon I was overwhelmed. My hand stretched out and snatched the locket.

Turning it between my fingers, I analyzed it with my eyes. It was relatively new and seemed to be made out of pure gold. Gently, I prized it open, expecting to find it empty - but it wasn't. A picture of Evie beaming had been put in.

A shiver bolted down my spine and my mind replayed a scene from not too long ago.

Evie stared at me with tear filled eyes. Her stare pierced my eyes and, slowly, her smile reappeared on her face.

She held out her pinky and I raised my hand. Evie beamed as she hooked her pinkie around mine and we began to chant:

“Pinky swear, pinky swear,

That you'll always be there,

I'll never dare, never dare,

To break the pinky swear.”

Our hands fell apart as we collapsed in a fit of giggles. Evie laughed, her tears coming to an end. Her eyes told me she believed me and would continue to believe to the end.

I was brought back to reality with a jerk of panic. What if something goes wrong? What if I make a mistake? It'll all be my fault for making Evie worry. I can't let Evie live alone if the Games bring the end of me. I don't want her to suffer again!

The door clicked open and Occisora walked in. I decided whether attacking and killing her now would be a great idea, but decided against it. I mustn't do anything stupid that would put me and risk. No.

Occisora smirked as she sat in her chair, opposite of me. She locked her eyes with mine and the world around us disappeared. It was just us two, staring at each other, daring the other to look away. I searched her cold, green eyes, a nearly exact copy of my own. Yet again, her eyes seemed familiar...

How long had it been? It had felt like a year had passed, but I knew it was only a few minutes, even seconds perhaps. The silence was peaceful yet uncomfortable at the same time.

"Hello, Jet," she smiled, breaking the silence, still staring into my eyes.

"Good day, Occisora," l replied, my eyes refusing to give in.

"Oh my, quite the gentleman, aren't you?'' she remarked, finally looking away, "You're doing great in these games, so why does your face look as if it's filled with worry?''

Fighting the urge to stab her, l breathed deeply. She had only complimented me, but I felt threatened. I must just be too paranoid.

While I was thinking of what to say, Occisora continued, "Ah. Did you think I would care to hear you're answer? You are actually stupid, aren't you?"

As she paused, I kept my mouth shut and stared down at my lap.

"I can't help feeling sorry for your poor sister though," Occisora sighed, "She needs support, doesn't she? I could offer that support but that would be inhumane. To only help one girl out of the suffering millions."

Clenching my hinds into fists, anger boiled inside of me. She was trying to wind me up- and it was working.

"Of course," Occisora smirked, "I could put her down like those stupid dogs-"

I couldn't bear to hear anymore. My knife drove through her heart. The door bust open, peacekeepers flooded in. A prick hit my neck and everything was swallowed into darkness...