D3 Female - Ki Jepto [ScarlettDragone] Task 1

I held my breath as they announced the tributes. The boy's name was always picked first.

"Jay Calder!" the Reaper announced.

A boy of about 17 year old walked up on the stage and held his head up high. Everyone cheered but I was puzzled as to why. Was it for his bravery? Or was it because they were relieved it wasn't them?

His eyes drifted over the crowd and for a split second met my own. I could see it. The fear, even though it was hidden. I could also see bravery, courage and kindness. That was when I made my decision. I had nothing, but I also had everything.

The Reaper chose the girl's name, but luckily for her, she wouldn't have to face such a cruel fate.

"Sabrina Gidea!" the Reaper shouted.

A girl a few years younger than me cowered in fear. Hands forced her to the front of the crowd.

I wondered if I was doing the right thing. There was the huge possibility of dying. Then again, would anyone care if I departed from this world? Two voices appeared in my head, one of them unknown.

"Fight for the right of living, Ki. Keep your head up and smile!" it chimed in a soft voice.

"Do it! I want to see what all this Hunger Games thing  is about!" Eno insisted.

Clenching my hands into a fist, I shouted high above the cheering, "I volunteer as tribute!"

For a second, the whole world stood still. When time resumed, I found myself being led to the stage. I passed by the so called Sabrina, tears of joy spilling down her face.

"Thank you!" she choked.

I squeezed her shoulder and whispered into her ear.

"Live."

A microphone was passed down to us to let us say some final words. To be honest, I hated such things as 'goodbyes' but I made an exception this once.

"Right now we are alive. Don't let anyone take that simple fact away from you. The whole reason we shall fight, is to fight for that. That is why I shall fight, I will fight for that right. The right to live the right to smile."

---------------------------

After that, we were taken to the justice building. Just me and Jay in a small room, waiting.

"So, are you ready for this?" I asked.

"I guess," he answered.

A moment of silent passed as I thought hard about my life before volunteering. I was nothing, a nobody.

"Do you want to know why I volunteered?" I asked.

He nodded so I continued, "At first, I thought it was because I had nothing left to live for. Then I realised it was the exact opposite. I volunteered because I have everything left. I have my smiles, I have laughs and I have hope. In this time and age, that's what people need. They need a hope. I want to bring that. But, if in case I die, I don't care if I die. I'll be with boyfriend then. That would make me happy. Death is sometimes no better than life."

"Uh huh."

The door opened and we were lead away to where the train was. Our ticket to our new lives.

-----------------------------------------

At the train station, we met once again with the Reaper.

"Heads up tributes or should I say, Jay and Ki?" she smiled.

I could see right through it. Her fake smile. She had seen those innocent lives being thrashed around and couldn't care.

"I don't care," I mumbled, rolling my eyes.