D4 Female - Amabel Trython [AwesoMEbeing_] Task 1

Our District escort, Aurelia Perry, smoothed down the crumpled slip of paper she held in her hands. She bent down a bit closer to the microphone and clearly read out the name on it: "Nina—"

"I volunteer as tribute!" I shouted, beating another girl who also had her hand raised, and a lot more who were about to, or midway on raising their hands.

Aurelia looked up at me and smiled. The other girls who were about to volunteer also looked at me and frowned. Most of them rolled their eyes. I felt the piercing gaze of others behind me, but I didn't care. I did it this year. I volunteered first. It's time.

Without waiting for her signal, I made my way towards the stage and stood at her side.

"What's your name, dear?" Aurelia asked with a sweet, yet obviously mocking tone in her voice.

I cleared my throat and spoke, looking her directly in the eye. "Amabel Trython."

Her smile never faltered as she nodded to acknowledge my name and turn back to the crowd. "Our female tribute is Amabel Trython!"

Unlike the past few reapings, instead of claps and cheers, all I heard was silence, muttered conversations, and soft, teasing laughs. One person from the crowd caught my eye, though. Among all the people, Myrtle's gaze caught my attention. It was filled with . . . anger? Doesn't she know about my plan to volunteer?

"And now for our male tribute," Aurelia announced, cutting off my thoughts. She walked across the stage, towards the circular container, and reached for a slip of paper inside.

After pulling it out, she smoothed it down, raised it to eye level, and opened her mouth to read out the name.

"I volunteer as tribute!"

She looked up, the same time I did too. I heard a few moans from the girls' side, indicating the regrets of some of them for not doing what the boy who volunteered did. Yet, I still heard cheers and howls.

Aurelia smiled at the boy. He had a strong-built body. I should probably stay away from him at the arena.

"What's your name, boy?"

The boy took a step forward, his face turning blank, making it hard for me to read his emotion. I'm pretty sure I saw him a few times around the district—heard his name even; "Eugene Weiss."

"Come on up here, Eugene," Aurelia said, and the boy did so. I noticed his legs slightly shaking on his way up, yet his face held a determined look. The crowd cheered, and he turned to smile and wave at them.

He stopped at the other side of Aurelia. The woman smiled at him, then at me, before holding both of our wrists and raising them up in the air. Her smile widened as the crowd cheered. "Ladies and gentlemen, our tributes!"

I took a glimpse of Myrtle. My chest tightened at the sight of her. She was glaring at the ground, and I could see her hands squeezed in a fist. She's angry. At me, probably.

It wasn't that long before Aurelia started to lead us towards the Justice Building. I reluctantly turned around and let myself be led.

"Such a lovely day for a reaping," Aurelia said cheerfully, particularly to no one. I rolled my eyes. Who in the world would think of a reaping as a lovely day? Or a lovely day for a reaping. Whatever.

Aurelia dropped me off inside a room and I was told to wait. I wonder if Myrtle would still come here? I guess not. She looked so angry earlier, and I knew that she was just holding it in.

Minutes passed by, and I was right—Myrtle wouldn't come. The door opened and, for a second, I hoped that it was Myrtle, with a forgiving look on her face. But no. A peacekeeper peeked inside, and I could see his eyes surveying the room, before they rested on me.