D4 Female - Amabel Trython - Task 2 [AwesoMEbeing_]

A look of sadness passed between me and Myrtle as we stood in front of each other for probably the last time. I, myself, don't think I'll make it out alive.

I chewed on my lower lip as I tried to hold back my tears. She hated it when I cried. She'd get angry at me and tell me to "grow up and look at the bright side instead," but I can't see the bright side this time. All I can see is my probable death.

"Oh, who cares anyway." She sighed as she finally let out the tears she'd also been holding back and stepped forward to envelop me in a tight hug.

"Good luck, Bel," she whispered. "Take care of yourself, please. Be smart. We'll pray for you."

I nodded, feeling too sad to even reply.

I felt Aunt Ryss and Uncle Leo join the hug from behind me, and for a while, I felt safe inside their warm hug. This is the closest I've come to actually feeling that I belong to them. But the moment didn't last. Soon after, the speakers blared with the countdown.

With only 10 seconds left, I withdrew from the hug and said some hasty and tearful goodbyes, and stepped inside the tube that'll lead me up into the arena. Myrtle and . . . our family stood closely to each other as they watched the tube's doors slide close. I pressed my palm to the cold glass, tilted down my head, and closed my eyes, feeling the motion of the tube ascending.

There was a short speech given by the Head Gamemaker, Occisora, before the countdown began. It was only when the countdown finished that I opened my eyes and took my first glance of the arena, which struck me by surprise.

I was expecting the usual forest or desert or whatever terrain, but not this . . . office-like place. There were three metal doors on the far side of the room, and I'm pretty sure that that's where we're supposed to go. Tributes were already scattered everywhere, killing each other with their bare hands. We had no weapons. There wasn't a cornucopia.

Suddenly, the hair on the back of my neck stood up, like how I always fel back at home when I felt someone looking at me.

Regaining my senses, I quickly spun around to see a smirking Ki Jepto aiming for me, her hands outstretched towards my throat. My heart raced as I felt her fingers curl around my neck, so tightly that I gasped for breath as we both fell down. How could a small girl be as strong as a guy?

I pushed her off of me with all of my strength and, successfully, I got her off. But I didn't know what to do next. As she started to get up from the ground, I was caught, yet again, frozen in my spot. I couldn't bear the thought of hurting this girl. Nor killing her. Surely there's another way?

But there isn't. She lunged again at me, and I scrambled backwards, yet she froze in mid-air, then fell to the ground. I stared at her lifeless body and noticed her neck broken. Someone then blocked her from my view. I looked at an outstrerched hand before me, offering me help. I looked up to see Miles Wilson from Seven, a held back look of regret in his eyes, which I tried to ignore. I remember the alliance he offered to me back at training, along with four other tributes, which I only answered with a shrug and a "sure, I guess."

I looked hesitantly at his hand, thinking whether to take it or not, before he spoke, "We don't have all day, you know."

I shrugged and stood up by myself, hearing him murmur a "You can go your way, then, I guess," behind me.

We both ran towards the doors at the other side of the arena, watching each other's backs very closely, though I watched my back more than his. I can't trust this guy yet, even after he saved me.

When we got closer to the door, there were already other people there, specifically our other allies. They fought side-by-side, guarding the doors from others.

Once we got there, Mira, Lumen, and Seaver immediately ran to each of the doors and pressed the buttons at the same time. Tobias led us all inside, looking at Miles and me. "We figured it out while waiting for you two."

I nodded and continued inside the door. It was a bit darker inside, and when my eyes adjusted, I saw another door across from us. This time, it was made of glass, not metal. And it had a big red button on the wall beside it.

I walked towards the door and looked at the button. I then looked at the others, who followed behind me and were now inspecting the door and the button as well.

"Let's not waste time now," Tobias said. "It's the same thing as before. Just press the button to open the door."

I walked towards the button and pressed it, causing the door to slide open. Mira was about to enter when I released the button, causing the door to close quickly, almost chopping her body in half if she hadn't realized that it would close when I stopped pressing the button.

"Hey!" she yelled, glaring at me.

I raised my hands as a sign of apology. I didn't even know that that would happen if I released the button anyway. And besides, I couldn't afford to get left behind. I felt like I'm missing something here. I felt like they were hiding something from me. But that's just my feelings. Could be a lie.

She sighed and crossed her arms as she walked towards the button. "I'll do it."

I looked over at the others and saw Seaver giving Mira a long, hard stare before nodding. "Okay. We'll find a way to get you across as well."

I also felt Lumen staring at me as well, making me look at the ground. I really don't like it when someone stares at me. I bet he's deciding whether to still trust me or not after Mira's close call.

Mira pressed the button and Tobias led the way, with us following him closely, looking around the place for anything suspicious-looking. I heard Seaver yell from behind me, claiming she found another button.

She instructed Mira to follow us, and after a while, I spotted her, a relieved smile on hsr face, knowing that it's not yet over for her.

Still, I felt a heavy feeling in my chest. I messed up again right when I'm with a group. I always messed up even back then at my district. I wonder when I can make them stop doubting me.