Finalist Tobias Haycraft [unobtrusive-]

It started out slow, slithering, like the vapor that slips out of your breath in the dead of night. But slowly, ever so slowly, something was coming to life. I turned slowly on my heel only to catch sight of a television, like the ones they had in our districts, wiring up. The small, gold box that resembled something oriental and decorated slid stealthily out form a specific corner of the wall. It's screen, projecting onto the smooth, maple wood walls, flickered to life and brought Occisora with it. She was climbing, it appeared, onto a stage in front of a shadowed building. From what I could tell, she was at the train station in the Capitol. A temporary stage had been erected. On it stood Morus Fortibus, the man I understand to be her henchmen, her Second in Command. I lay the card gently on top of the shards of glass, closing the lid before silently striding over to get a closer look. There was no need for such quiet, precise steps, but it was a habit. Something I picked up from one of my allies, when I had them. Walk silently, Seaver had said, and no one will hear you coming. She grinned with elasticity to her lips, seeming almost amused at my contorted look. I hadn't really wanted to kill anyone, the idea of sneaking up on them to take their life before they even knew what was happening seemed a bit morbid, but then, almost merciful. If I was going to do it I'd want it to be quick.

I heard Buck crying at my feet, and, feeling compassionate toward my only remaining ally, I lifted him off his four little feet into my arms while I watched Occisora put on a smile for the cameras.

"Dear friends and family," she said with a certain finesse I pictured only her possessing. "We welcome you back; back to the Capitol, back to where it all began." The cameras momentarily drifted away from her as they rested toward a group of people huddled together, surrounded by an army of Peacekeepers. They were the families of the three remaining tributes, Seaver, Amabel, and myself. I couldn't think of any reason Occisora would have them here, except for one final twist where all of us would have to fight for something. I shivered at the prospect. I was so close to going home, to seeing Caira and the others, that I could taste it. I could taste freedom. The only thing, it seemed, standing in my way was her - not the other two tributes - Occisora Crudelis, who threatened to destroy my future. Her twist could mean my demise. Yet I eagerly awaited her next string of words, hoping it would contain another riddle. Throughout the games I'd come to rely heavily on these riddles to keep me somewhat sane. It might sound odd, but they keep me focused on one thing at a time here where chaos and death are around every corner. I know my goals, to return to my family. The riddles just keep me together enough to be brought back in one piece. I can't shatter like the glass in that box, like Occisora wants me to. I have to mend myself every time a tragedy occurs, and the only way to distract my mind from going to that dark place called insanity is to solve something.

"My apologies, my sincere apologies for taking you all from your jobs and your homes to rush you down here so suddenly, so unexpectedly." This time I saw the part of her Maximus was talking about in his letter, the part that's kind, not like any other Gamemaker. "But there is something amazing going on in the arena. Only three tributes remain! While that is tragic for the other families to whom I send my deepest condolences, it means hope for all of you. It means that this time tomorrow you could be holding your loved one in your arms again. I know, believe me, that all of you are praying for it to be your loved one who returns. And for the first time in Hunger Games history, you have the chance to be a part of making that happen. As you're all well aware, only one tribute can emerge victorious. If you want to return home with your loved one, the others must die." She sounded almost solemn, respectful of the others she mentioned, a kindness to their families. I thought for a moment she could be human. For one simple video, she was human. And maybe it was fake, maybe it was all just an act, but it's a nice one. For once we saw something other than the typical Gamemaker, the streak of malice we all know she has, and it's nice. It's nice to see her pretend to care.