The Cavalry Battle

A/N: To everyone who wants to write fanfics, the Cavalry Battle is such a damn mess. Thankfully, I realized I didn't have to actually write Katsuki's battle. Or anyone elses. Thank goodness.

Also, I feel like some people haven't read the parts where I've made it clear that Izuku is far more socially inept here than in canon because being friendless, parentally emotional cut off, shut in for 11 years doesn't make you instantly okay. It's been said multiple times in this fic, and in some of the notes I believe. And Kyouka said herself that the festival is Izuku's opportunity to overcome his past fear of uselessness and those bullies. This is his chance to overcome his fear of Katsuki, and he's beginning to see that. As shown quite a number of times last chapter.

Just thought I would make that clear one more time. I hate explaining too much, but this is in case I wasn't clear about it all.

Anyway, enjoy!

...

“Remember, even if your horse formation falls apart, it’s not over until it’s over! Good luck!”

Kyouka shook her head, "So...What do we do?"

Izuku took a deep breath, looking over at his other friends. "Iida? U-Uraraka?"

Tenya gazed down at his feet in thought before looking back up to his friends. "I'm sorry, but...I refuse."

Kyouka deadpanned, "Of course."

The bluenette shook his head, "I mean no disrespect, truly. But, after the entrance exam, I've been behind you, Midoriya. And now…" Tenya turned to Kyouka, "I see that I've been blind to notice another formidable classmate right in front of me. I know there have been several declarations of war today, but I need to add one more." Tenya turned away, beginning to walk into the sea of students. "Todoroki and Bakugou aren't the only ones who see you as a rival."

As he vanished, Kyouka squinted her eyes in confusion. "Me? I literally rode your back the entire time. How am I a rival?"

"W-Well, I think he just means you have the intention and mind to win. I guess he's just as surprised as everyone else is that we worked together during the race. A-And now that we're working together again, we're a threat."

"I guess that's fair." Kyouka looked over to their brunette companion. "Et tu, Uraraka?"

"Oh, no I'll definitely help you guys! I think it's best to work with your friends!"

Kyouka smiled, but immediately jerked back in shock as Izuku's face clenched into something...odd. "Woah, what the hell are you doing?"

"I-It's just s-so heartwarming to remember I have friends." Kyouka rolled her eyes with a smile, knowing Izuku was being genuine. Having people care about him after eleven years was new to him, but this just meant it was affecting him for the better. 

She tugged his sleeve, bringing him down to whisper in his ear. "Look, I think you're always hot. But, this is not a good look for you." Clearly, that was the wrong thing to say as Izuku’s face clenched up even further. “Wh-?! What now?!”

“You called me hot.”

“...Okay, c’mon big guy. Let’s go find our fourth membe-”

“MS. FIRST PLACE!!!”

“AH!” Kyouka jumped back as a goggled pinked-haired girl suddenly entered her vision. Her jacks quickly shot out in defense, but Izuku grabbed them before they could hit their target. 

“Team up with me!”

“Next time, Bubblegum, how about yo-”

Izuku raised a brow, “Do you j-just create all of your nicknames based off of people’s hair?”