Best Friends (By Default)

"...Honey?"

"Hm?"

"You've been staring at that piece of paper for three hours and you're starting to scare me." Izuku shook from his stupor and gazed up at his mother from across the dinner table. "What's on it anyway?"

Izuku opened his mouth to speak, but looked back down at the scrap of paper with Kyouka's phone number and faltered. "...I don't think I should tell you."

"Wh-...What? Why not?"

"Because you're going to freak out and crush me in a hug when you think it's something bigger than it is."

Inko raised a brow and tilted her head. "I don't understa-..." Inko suddenly gasped loudly.

"Mom it's no-"

"Is it a phone number!?"

"Yes, but-"

"Is it a girl's phone number!?"

"...Yes."

The dinner table was instantly thrown against the wall and Izuku was lifted out of his seat, his ribs being crushed by his mother's arms. "MY BABY!"

"She's just a friend, Mom!"

"For now!" Izuku sighed and relented to his Mother. He went slack, accepting the hug. "What's her name?"

"Kyouka Jirou. I-I met her at U.A. We talked to each other in the nurse's office. It was...nice. Really nice."

"Oh Honey, I'm so happy." It had been over a decade since Inko had last seen or even heard of Izuku having any friends. If he did have any, she didn't know about them. Her soul hurt whenever she thought about it. And it made things worse whenever she thought about how it was his quirklessness that was likely culprit.

She had hoped the day would come where someone would look past his lack of powers and see what an amazing person Izuku truly was. And it was finally happening.

The fact that it was a girl made Inko's heart soar even higher.

Inko dropped him and looked at him expectantly. "...Well?"

"Well, what?"

"Aren't you going to call her?"

"Yeah." Izuku simply continued to look at his mother in confusion as she gazed at him as if waiting for something. "D-...Do you mean right now?"

"Of course I mean right now!"

Izuku pursed his lips and looked away from his mother. "I mean...I would, but... alone."

"Oh. Oh! Yes, I'll get out of your hair. Go ahead to your room, I'll clean up."

"I'll help."

Inko shook her head and lightly pushed her son towards the hallway. "Oh no, no Izuku. I'm perfectly capable of cleaning up dinner myself. You don't want to keep your girlfriend waiting."

Izuku was about to say, "She's not my girlfriend". But, he felt it was no use. He relented and entered his room, pulling out his phone as he sat down at his desk. He pulled out the piece of paper once more, and gazed at the parchment.

The day had come.

The day that he thought would never happen, happened.

He received a girl's phone number.

And it wasn't his mother. It was an actual pretty girl. After Kyouka had left, he had pinched himself multiple times to make sure he hadn't been dreaming. Izuku pulled out his phone and tapped "Add Contact".