When The Veil Lifted

"This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper." 

- T.S. Eliot

Aliya's heartbeat picked up once again in worry and annoyance when another one of her fellow passenger started violently and obnoxiously coughing like a kid at the playground - just letting it rip into the air, no cover whatsoever. "Cough into your elbow..." She whispered to herself, hoping that it would somehow find its way onto the man's ears. The young man beside her chuckled before nodding at her, signalling that he agrees. 

She didn't bother acknowledging him before standing straight up and adjusting her mask. She noticed that the flight attendant was getting into position to announce so she took her muted earbuds off and looked at her expectedly. "Passengers of Flight 319, bound for Auckland Airport, we have unfortunate news." Aliya's grip on her things tightened as she scooted closer to the flight attendant. "Flight 319 has been cancelled as are other flights for the day." Grumbles of anger, frustration and disappointment filled the air while Aliya just collapsed into her seat, exhausted. 

"And why the fuck so?" Aliya's ears perked up at the malicious and violent tone the big man used as she silently focused on him. She can see that the young man beside her has inched in his seat as well, expecting to have to jump into action when the flight attendant gracefully took a step back and smiled at the man sweetly, slightly flustering him. "The government has issued a total flight ban nationwide as well as an immediate border closure, Sir." As soon as the man went back into his seat, Aliya fished her phone out of her pocket to check the news online when she discovered that not only is there no wifi, but her mobile data doesn't work either. 

When she looked up from her phone, she noticed that the passengers have bombarded the flight attendant so she just opted to wait for the flight attendant to be free. She looked to the young man beside her and bit her cheek before speaking, "Uhm, sorry. Do you have data? Or can you check the news online?" He nodded before fishing his own phone from his pockets to check. "Ah, shit." He ruffled his hair in frustration, showing Aliya his phone. "Got nothin' either." She sighed before nodding at him. 

She immediately took the chance to talk to the flight attendant, "Hi, sorry. Is-is the free wifi not working?" The flight attendant slightly tilted her head to the side before reaching her hand out to take Aliya's phone to check. "Oh." Surprised and confused, the flight attendant took out her own phone to compare and frowned when even she didn't have any internet. "I've got nothing either ma'am, I apologise." Aliya politely smiled and shook her head at her, "It's not a big deal, really. But, do you think it's a media blackout?" The flight attendant could only shrug as even she didn't know a thing. 

"Uhm, thanks anyways..." Aliya narrowed her eyes to better see the flight attendant's ID. "Thank you, Marina." The flight attendant smiled at her and nodded, before entertaining other passengers' concerns. 

==+==

Aliya is on her knees, struggling to catch her breath. She's trying her hardest to stay and keep quiet while trying to calm herself down in order to think straight and properly. "Okay. You're okay. Why are you worried? You're good." She whispered to herself before peeking out of the vent on the bottom of the door.