Not Enough Bandages

"It's easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend."

- William Blake

They're spent, breathless, and still along way from recovering from the beatdown of their bike crashing from under them. Daryl watched with guilt as Aliya slowly lifted her shirt to reveal the big bruise forming on her side. She winced and cursed under her breath, "Shit." She closed her eyes tightly as the throbbing pain started up again. Feeling Daryl's heavy stares, Aliya lifted her head to look at him and sighed. 

It was painfully obvious that he was beating himself up for what happened to them, for the bruise on her side, for being held hostage. But he needs to know that none of this is his fault. "Not your fault." she sharply reminded him before giving him a pained smile. She understood that her smile was pained when Daryl winced. Daryl looked down at the ground before sighing, "Should've just let you stay in that damn car." he voiced out his regret. 

Daryl blaming himself brought a bitter feeling in Aliya's heart. "So you'd be gone alone? D'you think I'd sit back and just wait for you to come back?" she sneered, unamused by his regrets. Daryl's head whipped up, their eyes connecting with a click. "I'd be somewhere alone, scouring the whole goddamn forest to find you." she confessed, rolling her eyes at him. "So no, you telling me to ride with you wouldn't have changed a thing." 

Aliya caught herself, "Actually no, it would've changed one thing and one thing only - we'd be separate. But guaranteed we'd both be in some shit like this." she corrected, patiently waiting for the slight lift of Daryl's lips. After a momentary pause, Daryl shook his head and chuckled lightly, appreciating Aliya's attempt to lift up his spirits. She watched with a smile as Daryl's shoulders slowly fall in relaxation and relief, infecting her to do the same. 

She was about to say something more when a crack in the forest floor made them jump up in surprise. Their heads whipped towards the direction of the noise. A yelp escaped Aliya's lips as the walker tackled her to the ground, rendering her momentarily motionless. Daryl pushed himself up from the ground and folded, his arms too weak to keep him upright. Aliya grunted as she desperately pushed the walker's face away from hers. 

Thinking quick, Daryl scrambled for his bow, opening the bag in haste. He grunted and groaned as the bow got caught in the cloth, beads of sweat trailing down his cheeks. Finally snatching the bow out of the bag, he immediately aimed for the walker, "Push him up!" he barked, his eyes focused on Aliya's focused face. With one last force of energy, Aliya extended her arms completely, pushing the walker's body upwards. A quiet thump made them both relax as the walker's body turned limp. 

While Aliya laid there frozen in shock, Daryl threw his bow to the side, scrambling towards Aliya's side. "You're okay." he chanted while he pushed the walker's body off of her. A single tear fell from Aliya's eye as she watched Daryl gently pull her up. Daryl's finger was light as he used it to gently wipe away her tears. "You're okay." he repeated, and this time, he was looking into her eyes while he did so. 

The guilt in Daryl's heart doubled, reflecting off of his gentle face. Aliya's eyes fluttered as she lifted a palm to his cheek, "It's not your fault." she reminded softly, letting the words simmer in his head. After a beat of silence, he nodded, letting her know the he heard her but not acknowledging the statement he doesn't know he believes. Aliya gave him a soft smile before fixing herself up. Daryl's eyes landed on the white container inside the bag.