When One Escapes Death

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

- Mark Twain

She tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention. "I wanna get a better look at our walls." She was planning on inspecting the walls and the dark spots that she has noticed surrounding the warehouse. It has been bothering her for a while. They moved in fairly quickly and not that they have the time, she would like to inspect the warehouse better. 

"How do you plan on doing that?" He stopped cleaning their guns to look at her. She looked at the ceiling and scratched her nape, "Fire escape." He frowned deeply, in disbelief at what she was suggesting. "Fire escape?" She nodded, not understanding what the big deal is. 

He shook his head at her, "I can get in and out quick. It's not a big deal." He sighed at her stubbornness before giving her a rifle. "Let me just finish cleaning my gun and I'll join you. I'll stay at the rooftop to overlook everything." She rolled her eyes before taking her pill with some water. 

She packed some food and water into a cooler as she waited for him to finish cleaning his gun. He offered to carry the cooler up to the rooftop to which she gladly obliged. 

After at least half an hour, they went up the rooftop where Arden propped up on a lawn chair, after sending Aliya off to the ground. He was still pissed at how she aggressively blew him off when he offered to be the one to go the ground instead. 

She needed to get away from him for a bit. Being alone together seemed to be taking its toll on them both. 

The birth control pills wasn't helping Aliya's case either. 

A sudden whizz made her jump, "Aliya, can you hear me?" She closed her eyes as she put a hand on her chest to calm herself down. She took the radio from her belt and pressed the button, "Yeah. I can hear you." She tightened her ponytail as she took in the view in front of her. 

The contrast between the dead and decomposing corpses and the thriving and growing grass were almost laughable to Aliya. Nature was taking back what she had been gorgeous enough to supply to us. The rapid and healthy growth of the grass were all thanks to the natural fertiliser - the dead. 

"I'll be checking in every half an hour or so." She pressed the button to respond, "Copy." She wiped her lips and rounded the corner. At the rooftop, Arden stared at the radio for a while. He wanted to say more but he opted to just check in on her later and focus on watching the perimeter. 

On the ground, Aliya has seen what looks like char marks. The group before probably burned the corpses of the biters just to make sure. There were 3 huge black marks on the empty parking lot and were in an oval-like shape. 

She went near one of the marks and knelt to inspect it closer when a whizz took her by surprise once again. "For fuck sake!" She grumbled to herself, annoyed that she gets jumpy by almost everything nowadays.