Who Are You Really Doing This For

"Almost losing one person you love shines a bright spotlight on life, and suddenly strips you of everything but your real feelings." 

- Annie Flagg 

They were surrounded. 

Dead leaves danced freely on the ground before them while they all stayed rooted in their place, unable to move a muscle. They held a common fear that one small step will push the saviours over the edge, leading to them harming Maggie and Carol. And after everything that had just went down, they wouldn't let it pass the saviours to do so. 

After all, they'd do the same if the roles were reversed. 

Their hearts dropped when the radio spat Carol and Maggie's voices. Carol's voice wavered as if swallowed by terror while Maggie's was strong and stubborn. Aliya could tell that Maggie wanted Glenn to know that she could handle herself. That Maggie refuses to give the saviours what they want - a sign of fear. 

Aliya tried to fight it. Tried to stop herself from looking over at Glenn. Scared to see the look on his face as he listened to his pregnant wife under the hands of the saviours. Glenn's face was hardened by pain and heartache while his body rigid with fear for Maggie's safety. Aliya's heart hurt just by looking at him. She quickly looked away, knowing that if Glenn notices her looking at him like that, it would just pain him more. 

On the other side of the radio, the saviours argued back and forth about how smug Rick was acting. How infuriating it was that Rick wasn't begging or surrendering but rather negotiating a trade. "Do we have a deal?" Rick asked into the radio, further frustrating the receivers. 

While waiting for a response, they let their eyes wander around, searching for hairline clues about where the remaining saviours were. The voice on the other side answered a few seconds later that they would be getting back with their answer. Aliya spat a curse on the ground, her eyes focusing on the dried up soil. 

Aliya smiled as she softly bumped her shoulder against Maggie who chuckled. "You're in an awfully good mood." Maggie teased. Everybody knew that Aliya was a very serious person. Very rarely would you see her cheesing and grinning this hard. Maggie couldn't help but be excited about what her friend is about to spill. 

"He said he loves me." 

Maggie's eyes widened at the same time as her lips did. "Took you guys long enough!" she gushed, opening her arms wide for Aliya. Aliya giggled as she leaned towards Maggie to reciprocate the hug. When they pulled away from each other, Aliya held her own face, caressing her cheekbones. "Shit, Maggie. I haven't stopped smiling since I woke up."