The Return To Woodbury

In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins. 

- Ulysses S. Grant 

Staring at the sky, she blew smoke from the cigarette she snatched off of Daryl's bike. She could really use some booze and relaxers right now. Smelling the bitterness in the air, Daryl looked back at her with a squint. Did she really just take the last cig? Noticing the stare, she looked down at him, "Yeah?" she asked, nodding at him. His gaze dropped to the cigarette on her lips and shook his head. 

"Finished my whole damn pack." he huffed, wiping his tools with a dirty rag. Not like he really cared that she finished it. Aliya rolled her eyes, "I'll replace it in the next run." she scoffed at him. The side of Daryl's lips rose as a chuckle left his lips, infecting her. 

They allowed themselves to feel light for a while. 

A similar head of hair made Aliya smile, inching away to give them space. Carol nodded at her with a sweet smile before making her way towards Daryl. She admired their special relationship, how Daryl relaxes as soon as he hears Carol's voice. Hearing the nearing footsteps, he looked up at Carol who gave him a sweet and comforting smile. He relaxed a bit, "Merle never did nothing like that his whole life." he shook his head, sighing. 

Merle was the type of person who picked and selected who he helped. To hell with the others! What benefitted Merle was next to what benefitted Daryl. But somehow, what Merle did made sense. He would be the one to go out with a bang. 

Carol offered her hand out to Daryl, "He gave us a chance." she squeezed it gently in comfort. What Merle did might just be the one thing that saved them. He accepted her hand, and with a grunt, pushed himself up from the ground. With a sigh, Carol turned to give him space. Daryl only needed a few words and your company to know that you're there for him. Aliya nodded at Carol before passing her by to get to Daryl. 

Aliya watched him fix his rag and tools for a little while, enjoying the comfort that it was bringing. There was just something about him taking his time to take care of his tools that felt mundane. It didn't take long for him to notice her stares before he turned and wordlessly gave him his pack of bows. She grunted at the impact before throwing her cigarette butt on the floor and stomping it dead. 

==+==

Aliya's heart dropped at the sound of low rumbling approaching quickly. The sound brought goosebumps to her neck, making her involuntarily shiver. She was about to check it out when an explosion nearby nearly deafened her. Her hands instinctively flew towards her ears as her eyes widened. She didn't need to see it to understand what was happening.