The Illness

"Health is not valued 'till sickness comes." 

- Thomas Fuller

'It's okay to give up.'

Aliya's eyes shot open, her eyes squinting under the bright sky. Should I just give up? She pushed herself up with a sigh, her back aching from the cold steel of the bus roof. She still hasn't grown accustomed to sleeping in the prison halls. Since the governor kindly blew up the watchtower, she had been sleeping in the bus just outside of the halls. 

It just so happens that she fell asleep on the roof. Daryl watched her from the ground before opting to join her on the roof. "Hey!" he called out. She looked back at him and smiled, "Hey." she answered back softly. She watched him climb the bus and throw himself at the space beside her. Daryl then fished for his cigs and kindly offered her a stick. 

She did a double-take before taking it from him, leaning towards him so he could light it for her. "Thanks." she smiled before doing the same to him. He thanked her gruffly, giving her a slight smile. 

Aliya huffed and puffed before looking at him, "Can't sleep?" she asked with a teasing tone. Daryl lifted his brow at her, "Nah." he shook his head with a grimace. Sleep has been very dodgy these past few days. He played with the lighter on his fingers before nodding, "What'd you two talk about earlier?" he gently asked, seeming to appear not eager. 

She scoffed, "Girl talk, Daryl." she smirked, "So snoopy." she pouted, shaking her head at him teasingly. He rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Whatever." 

She watched his expression with an amused smile on her face. It was always amusing how animated his reactions are. "Just told her that if she needed to talk, I was there." she finally answered, bumping his shoulder with hers. He hummed and nodded, "Ditto." he looked her in her eyes. She blinked rapidly before backing away slowly. 

Daryl cleared his throat, "Well, you don't gossip." he nodded, looking around the field. "You don't keep promises either." 

Aliya's head whipped as fast as the speed of light. Her face crumpled in offence, "The hell are you talking about?" she challenged. Her patience really is something. He rolled his eyes, "My cigs. Where's my pack?" he reminded her. She lightly laughed, "Where did you get that from?" she pointed at his pack. 

He looked at it and lifted it up, "Tyreese." he furrowed his brows. She smirked arrogantly, putting her hand on her chin, "And who was on the run with him, friends?" she mockingly asked the walkers far away. Daryl's mouth ran agape as his tongue pushed against his cheek, his laughter threatening to spill out. 

He shook his head, "Okay." he muttered in defeat. Aliya smiled triumphantly, blowing a happy smoke in the air. It was nice, bantering with Daryl back and forth. It was refreshing even. She expected him to leave once his cig was done but he stayed even though they didn't talk much.