When One's Strength is Tested

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." 

- Bob Marley 

Sitting by the window pane, she turned a page and sighed before violently closing her book, startling Arden who was cooking their dinner. She jumped a bit when he emerged from the kitchen followed by the cocking of a handgun. With one hand on her chest, she raised the other to calm him down. "It's just me. I'm sorry." He blinked rapidly and shoot out a breath, suddenly feeling dizzy from the adrenaline rush. 

"I'm sorry." She gently stood up from her seat to go near him, rubbing his arm up and down to soothe him a bit. "It's fine." He combed his hair after taking care of the handgun and went back into the kitchen. Feeling guilty and stupid, Aliya followed him and placed a hand on her own nape to soothe herself. "I'm really sorry, Arden. I just forgot for a while." He nodded before dipping a little spoon into what he was cooking and looking back at her. 

He cocked the spoon a bit, telling her to taste it. "It was an honest mistake, it's not a big deal." Aliya let out an embarrassed smile and leaned against the counter top, opting to keep him company until he finishes cooking. 

Both of them were in denial of the weird tension that has developed between them. 

It's been a whole month after the incident at the airport and it has just been the two of them. Their supplies are rapidly depleting no matter how hard they try to ration it. Soon, they will need to go out to get supplies again. 

"Have you been having troubles sleeping again?" 

Aliya has been staying up most of the nights, looking at the sky for helicopters, looking out the road for military or government vehicles. She also stays on the roof to look for other light sources that may indicate that there are others, that there is hope, but she was only left disappointed. Each day was like a hammer crushing their hopes of everything going back to how it was, little by little. "It's hard to fall asleep when dread is slowly swallowing you up." Arden could relate, he's also been up most nights, just staring at the ceiling, listening for her to come back in safely. 

He cleared his throat before leaning back in his chair, "In three days, I'll go out to get some supplies. You'll be fine alone here, right?" Absentmindedly, Aliya nodded. They've been anticipating this for quite a while now, imagining different scenarios and revising their plans over and over again. The safest bet was to have one guarding the cabin while the other goes out to scavenge. It was either they lose a vehicle, or they lose a home. They were prepared for that, at least. 

"Just leave them. I'll clean up." Arden ignored her and put the plates on the sink, the clacking of the plates were like nails on a chalkboard - it made her snap. "You already cooked for us, at least let me clean up." He just shook his head and waved her off, dismissing her. She grit her teeth and pulled him away from the sink, her cheeks heating up from frustration. "You've gotta start letting me do shit! Why the hell do you always do this?" She childishly bumped her shoulder against his before facing the sink and washing up.