When One Can Start Over

"I discovered that a fresh start is a process. A fresh start is a journey - a journey that requires a plan." 

- Vivian Jokotade 

"I don't mean to be a pain in the ass but I'd appreciate it if I can get to my friend in the next half an hour." Katy turned around to give her an unimpressed glare to which she lifted her brows up at. Cecil came over to get in between the two and gave Aliya a sympathetic tap on the shoulder. 

"We just need to pack some supplies just in case the way there gets rough." She could only nod at her and plop on the sofa next to Seb who was colouring his book. Seb slightly bumped his shoulder against hers, "Don't worry. Ma and pa will get you there." She smiled at him gently and scuffled his hair as a gesture of thanks. 

She then opted to kill some time by colouring a page herself. A clearing of the throat made her stop colouring and look up. "Is it time?" James nodded at her and lifted a bag up for her to take. "Thanks." She gladly took her bag and opened it up to check. "There's weapons there." Her forehead creased a bit, "Oh! Right. I left my machete but I remember a rifle?" The rifle was then given back to her immediately. 

She looked around the small group that was going to be with her, "It's just us three?" Cecil gave her a small smile and nodded, adjusting her knife. Aliya nodded before crouching down to be eye-level with the kids. "Thank you for taking care of me, little ones." They all smiled at her before engulfing her in a hug. 

She watched Seb rip out a page from his colouring book and just it at her direction, "Take it so you don't forget us!" Alice and Mary each yanked a bracelet out of their wrists and put it on her palm. "Us too!" She chuckled before looking up at Tanya and Kiefer who were smiling at them as well. She then stood up from crouching down to say her goodbyes to Katy when Katy suddenly emerged from the kitchen with gears on her person. 

"I'm coming with." 

She could only watch Katy march outside without so much as looking at her direction. Aliya just shrugged at that before waving goodbye to everyone and following the others outside. 

Cecil slowed down so that she was beside Aliya and glanced at her, "You ready?" Aliya tightened the band on her bag and nodded with a smile, "Yes ma'am." Cecil signalled for her to lead the way which she gladly obliged. 

Aliya's heart pumped at the same rhythm as her footsteps. Each step were bittersweet. She wanted nothing more than to run ahead, just run without stopping. 

"Found it!" She whipped her head around to see Katy lifting a radio up. Aliya's eyes lit up as she marched towards Katy with a smile, "Thank you!" She muttered and pushed some button on the radio, "Arden?" Her voice wavered so bad that even Katy couldn't help but put a hand on her shoulder. 

Aliya's forehead creased with worry when there was no response on the other end. She gulped and looked at the others who looked worried as well. "We need to hurry." She didn't even wait for their replies and reactions when she ran ahead. "Aliya! Wait up!" She heard Katy's voice but she ignored it.