The Meeting

"We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them." 

- George Orwell, 1984

Wanting to be alone yet productive, Aliya spent her time cleaning some of the bullet casings up from the windows while keeping watch. The prison was still and quiet, making her feel uncomfortable. A rough set of footsteps coming towards her made her look back at the culprit. 

Merle looked real shy as he looked at her, scratching his nape in effect. "Keepin' watch, huh?" he nodded, looking outside as well. Aliya just watched him in silence, her heartbeat picking up at the thought of being alone with him. She thought about Daryl, how he just thanked her for tolerating Merle. She didn't want to disappoint. 

"It would be great, since we'll be living under the same roof," he cracked a smile, "That we, you know, straighten things up." he chuckled in discomfort. She only looked at him, waiting for him to say anything else. "I didn't know he was gonna do that to you." he confessed, regret etching on his face, "I'm sorry about your boyfriend too." Her jaw ticked as she looked away. 

"I'm sorry you had to find out that way." 

She blew a breath as she tried to wrack her brain for the words to say. Glenn was right, she was so out of touch with reality that she doesn't even feel much anymore. Fidgeting with her knife, she looked at him, "Can you explain that to me?" her forehead creased in confusion. "He wasn't bitten." 

Merle's lips turned into a line as he rubbed his chin, "Uh.." he trailed off. He then rubbed his whole face before leaning towards her, "Bitten or not, once we die, we turn into one of those bastards." he looked at her, gauging her reaction. 

It's easy to dismiss Merle and deny his credibility, but he had no further reason to lie to her. And that was what's killing her. 

All of it is pointless. Why should she fight to live when in the end, she would still fall into their hell? 

Merle found her easy to read, he could see the hopelessness swimming in her eyes. He cleared his throat loudly, pulling her out of her pool of thoughts, "Hey, stop thinkin' 'bout it." he shook his head at her. But when she kept quiet, Merle felt uneasy. 

He has been uncomfortable and uneasy being in the same room as the very people who damned him and the very people he damned. But it was especially hard to look at the lady in front of him, all broken and hanging by a thread. She changed so quickly. Declined rapidly. 

"What's the point then?" she scoffed before standing up to look out of the windows, "Fighting a battle we already know who'll win?" she rolled her eyes in frustration, finding everything just so tiring. Merle smirked, "That's why we'll fight dirty." he pumped his chest, "Come on, girl! Where was that fire that I saw?" 

----