Carol's Kick Ass Casserole

"The wise adapt themselves to circumstances, as water moulds itself to the pitcher." 

- Chinese Proverb

Confusion set on Aliya's face while Deanna looked at her expectedly. The camera by her side felt intimidating to Aliya, like it was an unfamiliar yet familiar concept. Aliya cringed, "You want to film us talking?" she asked staring at the camera. Deanna smiled and nodded at her kindly, trying to ease her apprehension. 

Seeing as how stuck Aliya became, Deanna ushered her to her seat. She could see how cautious Aliya was, a fact that tugged at her heartstrings. She must've been through a lot for her to be so rigid and tense around other people. Deanna's eyes fell on Aliya's shaking fists before she lifted her gaze up to Aliya's wary eyes. "We think highly of transparency here." she explained, still patiently waiting for Aliya to open up. 

After a few heartbeats, Aliya nodded and watched Deanna set her camera up. She was thankful that the camera was near level with Deanna's face so she wouldn't feel awkward about talking to a camera. 

"How long have you been out there, Aliya?" 

Deanna crossed her legs and clasped her hand on her crossed knees. Aliya looked away from the camera and stared right back at Deanna. She cleared her throat, "Since all this shit went down." she answered sharply, not liking how vulnerable she feels talking about her past with a stranger. Deanna flinched at Aliya's choice of colourful words but shook it off immediately. 

There was something about the way Deanna carried herself that intrigued Aliya. How untouched was this community that Deanna still acted like the world was the same as ever? Deanna looked at Aliya with amusement, noticing that as she observes Aliya, Aliya observes her too. "The others..." she trailed off, noticing how tense Aliya became at the mention of her family. "How long have you been with each other?" 

"They took me in. Rescued me." Aliya answered quickly. Deanna smiled understandingly, "Ali-" she was immediately cut off by Aliya who shifted in her seat. Aliya propped her elbows on her knees and leered at her, "What do you want? What's all this shit for?" she asked accusingly. This was all too good to be true, the way Deanna carried herself messed with Aliya's head. 

Why them? Why would Deanna want to take them in? After observing them for a long time why now? She had a lot of questions, some of those she knows there is no right answer for. But could you blame her? After being fucked over by everything they came into contact with, all she trusts is the others. 

Deanna felt for Aliya. She wore her heart on her sleeve and her body does not lie, she was a broken person. The way her eyes never relaxed, her jaw permanently clenched, her shoulders permanently tensed, it's like her body forgot how to be human anymore. Always on guard. "I know you've been through a lot, I can see it in your eyes." she coaxed gently, making Aliya squint her eyes in suspicion. 

"But you have to move forward. You cannot always focus on the bad things and push away the good ones. You're only hurting yourself."